Finding replacement escape wheel for unmarked movement

Cont3mplation

Question

Hi all. I'm absolutely brand new to the world of mechanical watches, but have always been fascinated by the way they functioned. So, I took my first step into them, getting myself a cheap, crappy ebay mechanical watch with a chinese movement. I knew that by all accounts this would be a rubbish movement and mechanism, however I wanted something that I could take a look at without risking any sort of investment, gauge my interest in the hobby etc. However, after receiving it, one of my friends let me know that he had a near identical cheap watch that was broken, and offered me to have a look at it as practice. I agreed, and have spent the last few days doing research and taking it apart, before putting it back together again. I've managed to learn quite a lot from it, however I've found that when putting it back together again, the pole of the escape wheel that keeps it in place either end seems to be too short, as though something had broken off. This means the wheel is sat basically loose and wont reach the crystals at either side to keep it in place while it spins. I see no way to fix this, so i intended to get a new wheel to replace it with, however I can't find the name of this type of movement anywhere. It is the kind used in this: ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jechin-Skeleton-Hand-Wind-Leather-Mechanical/dp/B00VPRZC50/ref=asc_df_B00VPRZC50/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=290896788181&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13027367026987882679&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9047006&hvtargid=aud-545868369748:pla-468442151749&psc=1 ) . If I really wanted to I think I could just order one of the other watches that I've found that use this movement for £5-6, however I was hoping I might be able to keep to my strict student budget and get just the escape wheel somewhere. Does anyone know where I'd be able to find something like that?

p.s. Apologies for the lack of knowledge on the subject, I know I'll come across a bit new to the whole thing, but trying to learn as I go

7 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, Cont3mplation said:

I've found that when putting it back together again, the pole of the escape wheel that keeps it in place either end seems to be too short, This means the wheel is sat basically loose and wont reach the crystals at either side

That is called a pivot and it turns between holed jewels. There are many free resources to learn the correct name of parts.

If I really wanted to I think I could just order one of the other watches that I've found that use this movement for £5-6, however I was hoping I might be able to keep to my strict student budget and get just the escape wheel somewhere. Does anyone know where I'd be able to find something like that?

No spare parts are available for Chinese mov'ts. Sorry to be blunt but if you have an issue about £5-6 I recommend that you don't get into repairing watches.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 2

Hello, Welcome to the forum and good luck with your foray into horology. 

Visit if you will,   www.eternaltools.com for a common vocabulary on names of parts in a typical movement made by ETA.  

Members just post picture of the movement for identification. 

Chineese movements are good choice for practicing.

Best wishes   

Don’t get despondent mate, keep at it, I haven’t looked at your link yet but am I correct in thinking that the movement you are working on is a dg2813, a standard 21j Chinese movement that can be picked up for around £20 complete. 

• Thanks 1

As I understand  it the dg2813  is based on the miyota  8200.. there is a chance  of parts interchangeability..but I wouldn't  bet on it.Best cheapest option  would be direct replacement of the movement  with the same type.If I were doing a favor  for a friend  with this type of watch,this is what I would  do. While  in no way intending to demean,given  your  level of experience  this would be the best way to insure reliable function at the lowest  cost,and a good way to keep  a friend. 

• Similar Content

• By Colditz
      Hi All
      Been away for a while due to C19. I'm back now though. I have a chronograph with a broken pusher screw. Anyone know where I can get the pusher screws?  I would like to get a mixed box similar if possible Stainless steel. Appreciate any help I can get.

• By Max50916
      I'm looking for help identifying the movement in this vintage citizen watch. I picked it up from a flea market and quite like the look, especially since finding Citizen watches of this age seems somewhat rare.
       But, I haven't been able to figure out a model number so that I can start looking for a replacement stem/crown. I can find a serial number of some type that reads 360278 and the letter T under the balance. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

See photos of top and bottom of movement.

• By Domovoy
      Hi friends,
      I have a 1970's Slava Soviet made watch my uncle gifted me when I was 9... I have kept it in mint condition all these years and for some reason I decided to have it serviced.
      I took it to a watch repair shop (had 5 stars) spoke with the employee and specifically asked to have the watch back in the same or better condition, when I got it back 6 weeks later I noticed they had scratched and damaged the bezel and changed the spring (even through I asked to call me incase any part needs to be replaced) 
      Now I need to replace the bezel so thats its not chewed up, the factory does not make parts for it and I am distraught as it was in perfect shape and it took someone else to ruin the watch. I only blame myself but it hurts ?

Please help me find the bezel and get it back to its former self as much as possible.  

• By BungleBogs
      Hi All,
      I'm Matt from the UK, a father of four, and have always spent a lot of down time (toilet and waiting in queues) watching various horological videos on YouTube. Some of my favourites are ClickSpring, Master Watchmaker, Nekkid Watchmaker, Reuben Schoots, and RWSmithWatches. Scattered amongst all of these are a lot of hand & machine tool restoration and machining. It is clear where my passions lay.
      I'm an electrician but haven't worked in that field for more than a decade. I'm now tied to a desk as a programmer (which I love), but I miss working with my hands. The children are growing up rapidly and are now becoming quite independent, one in particular is close to flying the nest. This means I'm now have a bit more free time and why my fingers were getting itchy!
      My exact path on this hobby is not yet clear, but I do have it in my mind that one day I'd like to construct my own timepiece from stock. That would be many years off, so as it currently stands I'm purchasing old movements and practising taking them apart and putting them back together. In addition, I'm making my own simple tools. My next project is several pairs of hand levers in silver steel and brass.
      It is great to find this forum and community.
      Cheers,
      Matt.