Rod Gauge, Drill Gauge, Hole Gauge. Do these exist. If so where do I buy one?

Titanium

I was wondering if you can get a "rod gauge" for watch making. Basically a sheet of metal with precision holes in it with diameter from about 0.70mm to 2.00mm in 0.05mm increments.

So instead of having to use the micrometer to measure the rod I could just slide it in the gauge.  If it fits in the hold it is that size or smaller and if it does not fit it is larger than the stated size.

If this does exist where would I buy one?

16 minutes ago, vinn3 said:

you will find all of these in a "machinest's catalog.    good luck.   vin

Actually I believe the OP has looked and didn't found these. At least I couldn't. We aren't talking about wire gauges which are common and cheap,

18 hours ago, jdm said:

Actually I believe the OP has looked and didn't found these. At least I couldn't. We aren't talking about wire gauges which are common and cheap,

it might be "different names for the same tool.  a book is better than the internet. it takes a bit of time to learn machinery.  what is OP  ?   vin

• Haha 1

What you want is readily available, but not cheap.  Search Seitz gauge for example.  Basically an array of jewels of different sizes that let you size an OD....although not up to 2mm.  imo the larger ones are easy to measure with a mic, its the tiny ones that are more challenging. Similar gauges covering a wider range of sizes are available as well (intended for clock bushings)

seitz-vintage-watchmakers-tool-pivot_360

what is OP 

you need a book on internet acronyms :biggrin: The  OP in a thread is the original poster or original post

Edited by measuretwice

1 hour ago, measuretwice said:

What you want is readily available, but not cheap.  Search Seitz gauge for example.  Basically an array of jewels of different sizes that let you size an OD....although not up to 2mm.  imo the larger ones are easy to measure with a mic, its the tiny ones that are more challenging. Similar gauges covering a wider range of sizes are available as well (intended for clock bushings)

seitz-vintage-watchmakers-tool-pivot_360

you need a book on internet acronyms :biggrin: The  OP in a thread is the original poster or original post

"acronyms"  we try not to us um.  but,  it could be OPP.:abe:    vin

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.