ETA/Valjoux 7750 Oris TT1

Highballn2

Looks like your workhorse has broken its leg. You're either going to have to take it to the veterinarian or shoot it. ;) 

Seriously, it could be any or all of the suggestions already given, or it's going to be something less obvious. There are two things I can say for certain. One, you won't know until it's opened up, and two, it's not going to fix itself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

How long have you owned it and how long since last service? If more than 5 years or so it may be a blessing in disguise as the 7750 will run and run long after its oils have given up, grinding various parts to dust. It may be a simple issue but most pros will want to do a full service, the upside is any decent professional can do that watch, and they always end up with awesome timing results, like COSC chronometer level and better. You obviously care about it, the few hundred bucks spent won't be felt 10 years from now.

But if you want to fix it yourself, strap in, get your wallet out (for tools, books and practice movements), and the nice folks here will help you convert your spare bedroom into a watch workshop.

• Haha 1

These are the greatest, most informative and funny answers thank you all very much I just got back home from dropping it off at this gentleman's home outside of Chicago in the suburbs I'm going to have it repaired and save my lack of Talent on a few basic ETA to show see stars I have I don't have the heart to dissect my first automatic watch no matter the value of it I can't wait to dive in I can't stop reading these posts and about watches and repairs thank you all very much!! 

4 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

How long have you owned it and how long since last service? If more than 5 years or so it may be a blessing in disguise as the 7750 will run and run long after its oils have given up, grinding various parts to dust. It may be a simple issue but most pros will want to do a full service, the upside is any decent professional can do that watch, and they always end up with awesome timing results, like COSC chronometer level and better. You obviously care about it, the few hundred bucks spent won't be felt 10 years from now.

But if you want to fix it yourself, strap in, get your wallet out (for tools, books and practice movements), and the nice folks here will help you convert your spare bedroom into a watch workshop.

First instance I see master Nickelsilver kidding, well almost kidding.

Dose haute horology refer to grade of the piece ?  Meant saying superior grade than swiss govenment regulations requires? 

3 minutes ago, clockboy said:

It needs removing for the case and inspecting. It could be a mainspring issue but as I say it needs close inspection.

Dropped watch causing MS fault? I'd say escapement ore likely.

4 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Dose haute horology refer to grade of the piece ?  Meant saying superior grade than swiss govenment regulations requires? 

No, haute horlogerie are the rare pieces which cost more than an house in Switzerland even without having any precious material.

5 minutes ago, jdm said:

Dropped watch causing MS fault? I'd say escapement ore likely.

No, haute horlogerie are the rare pieces which cost more than an house in Switzerland even without having any precious material.

Thank you jdm, so I guess the word haute refers to degree of technical and physical  refinement of the piece. Mechanical superiority?

3 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Thank you jdm, so I guess the word haute refers to degree of technical and physical  refinement of the piece. Mechanical superiority?

In my experience most modern haute horlogerie pieces are pretty fragile and inferior mechanically to more common calibers. In part because something like the ETA 28XX family and 7750 have 3 or 4 decades of constant refinement (and were born out of the minds of some really clever engineers to begin with), and they are masters of making consistently precise and durable parts as a result of sheer volume of work- whereas smaller "boutique" makers might only make pieces is the double or triple digits per years for certain exclusive calibers (even less in some cases), and new mechanisms might be brought to market after a relatively short development and prototyping phase of just a couple of years.

Overall the term refers to exclusivity, and its resulting price tag. I'd stack almost any 50s era watch against almost any current haute horlogerie piece knowing the one from the 50s will have more nicely made and finished parts, and be more durable. Even a lowly A. Schild from the 50s has nicer pinions and in many cases more nicely finished screws than many high end pieces today (in the case of the pinions almost universally better)!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nickelsilver said:

In my experience most modern haute horlogerie pieces are pretty fragile and inferior mechanically to more common calibers. In part because something like the ETA 28XX family and 7750 have 3 or 4 decades of constant refinement (and were born out of the minds of some really clever engineers to begin with), and they are masters of making consistently precise and durable parts as a result of sheer volume of work- whereas smaller "boutique" makers might only make pieces is the double or triple digits per years for certain exclusive calibers (even less in some cases), and new mechanisms might be brought to market after a relatively short development and prototyping phase of just a couple of years.

Overall the term refers to exclusivity, and its resulting price tag. I'd stack almost any 50s era watch against almost any current haute horlogerie piece knowing the one from the 50s will have more nicely made and finished parts, and be more durable. Even a lowly A. Schild from the 50s has nicer pinions and in many cases more nicely finished screws than many high end pieces today (in the case of the pinions almost universally better)!

Thanks for taking the time to answer this old question of mine.  Any read up I did on  this revealed more of advertising.      Wish you good health. 

16 hours ago, eccentric59 said:

Looks like your workhorse has broken its leg. You're either going to have to take it to the veterinarian or shoot it. ;) 

Seriously, it could be any or all of the suggestions already given, or it's going to be something less obvious. There are two things I can say for certain. One, you won't know until it's opened up, and two, it's not going to fix itself. 

to the anvile with it.  vin

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

I guess its same old Q&Q for me. :lol:

You don't want me pull out my NOS one from the vault, do you? The other one I had took apart knowing it would never go back together, I still feel guilty. This thread is hijacked, nickelsilver said we're good at spoiling innocent owners, it used to be a serious forum ;)

1 hour ago, jdm said:

You don't want me pull out my NOS one from the vault, do you? The other one I had took apart knowing it would never go back together, I still feel guilty. This thread is hijacked, nickelsilver said we're good at spoiling innocent owners, it used to be a serious forum ;)

:blink: Sorry.