2240 Chinese (I think) Stem Removal Help

TWood

Help.  I have what I think is a 2240 Chinese movement where the stem will no longer screw down and stay there. 

Tried to remove the stem and BAM... I found out I have no clue where the stem release is on this baby. 

Can someone show me? 

IMG_0569.thumb.jpg.57e1575823c391fb5ce06c4460e47e0f.jpg

Do you have the stem in the winding position or setting position? Some movements need to be in one or the other to get access to the release mechanism. It looks like the crown is pulled out (setting position) which for some movements (Seiko NH34, for example) will hide the release. Try pushing in the crown and you might see a little dimple on the end of the setting lever.  Look for it a little above the stem.

seiko stem release.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thank you for that... It's there, just was hard to see.  They stem looks pulled out because it's unscrewed, but it was in winding position.  Once that little thing was pussed properly, the stem popped out nicely. 

Unfortunately, the stem threads holding it down against the case are stripped. 

Does anyone know where to buy a replacement Big Pilot clone stem? 

Apologies for the late reply, I didn't get an email notification and thought no one replied. 

9 hours ago, TWood said:

Unfortunately, the stem threads holding it down against the case are stripped. Does anyone know where to buy a replacement Big Pilot clone stem? 

Stems are never threaded to the case, but the crown is threaded to the case (pendant) tube. You can look on AliExpress for a replacement.

• Like 1