German wall clock

antonyh

I picked up a very very cheap German striking clock the other day, well I thought it was cheap. 

The movement has been a pig from start to finish, still not happy with it, I couldn't get a mainspring strength wise to what I wanted, as in the modern springs in the equivalent thickness are so much stronger. 

I've had to take the case basically to pieces, just to put it back together. 

The clock is circa 1900, so the case had 100 years of dirt and old varnish on, and I mean really dirty, I'm thinking it's been in a smokers house. 
I have used a combination of methalated spirit's, wax and this wounder full stuff called brish on French polish, and sadolin wood stain. 
Unfortunately I didn't take any before pictures,this was taken just as I was working on the door, but you will get the idea.
I'm still working on the rest of the case, just doing bit by bit, as I'm in no rush

IMG_20190902_192633.jpg

IMG_20190922_190024.jpg

Hi Looks a nice old clock and one worth the trouble as they usually come up well. check the holes and peg them out well.  If the mainspring is broken at the end it is possible to remake the ends and re fit. I have repaired one or two that way and have been no trouble.  Meths is great for removing the years of grime, you can also use it with 0000 grade wire wool to remove the grime. when finished try polishing with bees wax and the wool and buff up you get a nice mellow sheen and a finish comensurate with its age.

Getting the exact mainspring strength is very difficult for some clocks. However providing the strength is not way too strong or weak the clock will run fine. Thats providing it has been cleaned, pivots polished, worn bushes replaced, lubricated and put in beat.

There are many methods of cleaning a vintage wood clock case but basically you need to remove years of dirt/grime 0000 wire wool and a sprit works or you could try the method below. Once the grime is gone you can re -stain and varnish.

• Like 1

Thanks all for your comments. 

Yes it's a German striking clock, count wheel, there was so much wrong with it, as with replacing the spring, bent teeth, the hole for the pin to keep the minute hand on was missing, so I had to drill that out then sort the hands out.

I did find out who made the clock, I will see if I can find it again. 

I think I've got another picture of the door as I'm progressing.IMG_20190917_132418.thumb.jpg.7cdecdb9696b04dbff278e44fcfc5d1f.jpg