Smoothing versus cutting broaches: Do I need both?

rduckwor

You don't need a  smoothing broach for a hand. The smoothing broaches are for smoothing the in side of a bush. These ready to use bushes, the brass is so soft a cutting broach is all you need, if you look in side the bush after cutting it is left smooth so much it looks as if it has been burnished. That is all a smooth broach does, is burnish.  

Always use good broaches, they will always keep there cutting edges. Cheap won't last long.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rduckwor said:

I need to clean out the pipe on a second hand.  Smoothing versus cutting broaches? 

Thanks,

RMD

Well, A cutting broach will, of course, make the hole larger and so if you wish the hand to still fit the pivot then smoothing broach is the way to go, depends on if you want to remove material or not ;) but be careful, even though they are smoothing broaches they may still bind in the hole as you turn and you run the risk of breaking the hand.

6 hours ago, oldhippy said:

You don't need a  smoothing broach for a hand. The smoothing broaches are for smoothing the in side of a bush. These ready to use bushes, the brass is so soft a cutting broach is all you need, if you look in side the bush after cutting it is left smooth so much it looks as if it has been burnished. That is all a smooth broach does, is burnish.  

Always use good broaches, they will always keep there cutting edges. Cheap won't last long.  

To be fair, I have found smoothing broaches useful for clearing out stubborn debris. I remember finding what I suspect was glue in a seconds hand pipe once and couldn't use acetone due to the hand being painted.

@rduckwor I have merged your "dual post" as it keeps the forum cleaner. Kindly be patient in waiting for other members to respond rather than opening new topics with the same subject matter - many people are on different time-zones - have jobs - or are simply spending time with family ;) 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Mark said:

Well, A cutting broach will, of course, make the hole larger and so if you wish the hand to still fit the pivot then smoothing broach is the way to go, depends on if you want to remove material or not ;) but be careful, even though they are smoothing broaches they may still bind in the hole as you turn and you run the risk of breaking the hand.

To be fair, I have found smoothing broaches useful for clearing out stubborn debris. I remember finding what I suspect was glue in a seconds hand pipe once and couldn't use acetone due to the hand being painted.

@rduckwor I have merged your "dual post" as it keeps the forum cleaner. Kindly be patient in waiting for other members to respond rather than opening new topics with the same subject matter - many people are on different time-zones - have jobs - or are simply spending time with family ;) 

correct me if i am wrong,  broches come in a set.   "roughing and smoothing".   vin

30 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Normally in sets. The very large clock ones can be bought separately.   Interesting to read Marks view about glue in the pipe, not come across that before. 

'nor me since! Some silly sod's attempt at securing a loose fitting hand. Granted about 15 odd years ago but silly stuff sticks in the mind :D

I have use a pin vice for chronograph second hands, you can do it, but only if you are talking a couple of hundredths of a mm.

Go slowly tighten only a little bit and test fit, easy to close it a bit more, real PITA if you go too far and have to open it out again with broach.

Bergeon of course sells a special tool to do this if you have a few hundred pound spare, else get by with a pin vice, just make sure it is a good quality one that closes evenly so all sides (or 4 spots evenly spaced) get closed in evenly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tmuir said:

Bergeon of course sells a special tool to do this if you have a few hundred pound spare

Ugh.  I see broaches are not free either. 

Something else to add into the "Want List".  Projects get set aside until I can get back to them and I am running out of room as I go broke!

But I'm having a fantastic time.  Thanks Mark!

• Haha 1