orient 46941 movement broken click

Ammar

Hello everybody,

I am working on an orient 46941 movement but when I opened it I found that the click is broken looks like the "professional" that my father took his watch to broke it some how because it was running and now the watch is swimming in oil as well, I tried a click from a Seiko but it's too long it didn't work and I looke online but found nothing about clicks what so ever.

is there any thing that I can do because I really love this watch and my father is looking forward to using it again. 

You might be able to source spares from one of the many Orient approved service centers, and there is one in Turkey.

https://orient-watch.com/service-network

Also, while the movements look similar to many Seikos, and Orient is (or perhaps was, since I think they are not currently in production) a Seiko brand, from my limited experience of them, they are subtly different, so parts from one most probably will not work on  the other.

Your best bet might therefore be to try to source a donor movement somehow. Sadly I have nothing suitable in my spares.

One final point, whoever the "professional" was who looked at that watch, should stick to arable farming, that thing looks dirty enough to grow potatoes in. :wacko:

The first thing a real professional would do is strip and clean the movement before they even attempted to fix it. Then again, a true professional would "own" any problem they caused, for example if the broke something in the watch.

In my professional electronics repair career many years ago, we would always ensure that customer's equipment was returned in the same or better condition than when we received it, even it repairs were uneconomical. All dirt, and grubby paw prints removed, and the item packaged securely is the minimum you should strive for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyHull said:

Also, while the movements look similar to many Seikos, and Orient is (or perhaps was, since I think they are not currently in production) a Seiko brand

Orient is quietly owned by Seiko, and they are lively on the market having many aficionados. Check US website, much more enjoyable than the JDM one.
https://www.orientwatchusa.com/

• Like 1

Depending on how much longer the seiko click is, a few strategic bends will reduce the effective length.

Visualise a 'v' bend with the point of the 'v' point to the edge of the movement. Avoid sharp bends and you only have one or two shots at bending before it breaks. Also check for clearance with the barrel/train bridge.

Its a bodge but if you cant get a correct one and have a few Seiko clicks to spare why not?

Good luck

Anilv

Well I was able to get a click from a guy here in Turkey but unfortunately the movement is so far gone the mainspring is broken and the automatic isn't working so I put it aside until I find another movement.

this movement is really close to Seiko movements as mentioned by @jdm but it's smaller so I can't use any parts from a Seiko, I don't know if Orient include some Seiko parts in their movements but as far as I know Orient make their movements in house.

On 9/23/2019 at 1:22 PM, aac58 said:

Did you get an answer from the seller?

yup it's not worth it I can't pay with pay pal it deesn't work here and the bank transfer is too expensive, I found the part at a shop here thank you though ^_^

On 9/23/2019 at 1:53 PM, AndyHull said:

You might be able to source spares from one of the many Orient approved service centers, and there is one in Turkey.

https://orient-watch.com/service-network

Also, while the movements look similar to many Seikos, and Orient is (or perhaps was, since I think they are not currently in production) a Seiko brand, from my limited experience of them, they are subtly different, so parts from one most probably will not work on  the other.

Your best bet might therefore be to try to source a donor movement somehow. Sadly I have nothing suitable in my spares.

One final point, whoever the "professional" was who looked at that watch, should stick to arable farming, that thing looks dirty enough to grow potatoes in. :wacko:

The first thing a real professional would do is strip and clean the movement before they even attempted to fix it. Then again, a true professional would "own" any problem they caused, for example if the broke something in the watch.

In my professional electronics repair career many years ago, we would always ensure that customer's equipment was returned in the same or better condition than when we received it, even it repairs were uneconomical. All dirt, and grubby paw prints removed, and the item packaged securely is the minimum you should strive for.

I actually contacted Orient service in Turkey a while ago and the told me that they don't have parts for old movements.

people open a couple of watches and call their selves professionals and start ruining other people's watches, my mother has a vintage quartz Orient (yes we love Orient) that stopped working she sent it to the same "professional" but this time he just ganged the battery  without even looking at the watch obviously it didn't run so I had a look at it (although I don't know much about quartz watches) and there was a break in the circuit.

On 9/24/2019 at 4:02 AM, anilv said:

Depending on how much longer the seiko click is, a few strategic bends will reduce the effective length.

Visualise a 'v' bend with the point of the 'v' point to the edge of the movement. Avoid sharp bends and you only have one or two shots at bending before it breaks. Also check for clearance with the barrel/train bridge.

Its a bodge but if you cant get a correct one and have a few Seiko clicks to spare why not?

Good luck

Anilv

I wouldn't try this because I am not confident in my ability I'm pretty sure that I would just break the click, I would love to see a video on it so I can learn though, thank you