This balance is not moving right

aac58

BTW, sometimes I need to grab the incablock endstones with my tweezers, for example to turn them upside-down or to hold them while oiling. It's in this moment when, sometimes, the endstone jumps to the ether, from where they look at me and laugh.
I'm using Dumond nº2 tweezers. Maybe this is not the correct tweezer for this task? Or is it just a matter of practice?

I use #e tweezers but I put the stone on my mat and hold it in place with the tweezers. I don’t try to hold out it the air. Also, try griping the stone further up the tweezer a few mm from the tips. More surface area to grip the stone and more height Incase they try to escape. ......and practice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always find rotating my wrists whilst gripping small parts with tweezers to flip such parts around to be harrowing experiences. I've gotten into the habit of just picking them up and dropping them a short distance from the mat until the side I want faces up haha.

Edited by CaptCalvin

For hard to replace shock springs, I  remove all to get to flat balance bridge, lay on hard surface on large mat, remove shock spring, clean, reinstal, rinse.

Reinstallation of endstone. 

Get some oil on tip of screwdriver baldes.Endstone sticks to the oil.

place endstone on upper jewel, slide the screwdriver away, place shock spring on top, use any tool and hands to get the shock spring locked.

Not need to keep parts clean during assembly (by this approach) , makes it easy, low risk.

Rinse the cock with shock spring installed. Oil through upper jewel through chaton jewel, install the rest.

For those having difficulty handling jewels, shock springs, and other really small parts, using tweezers without pinging things into oblivion you might be interested in this post from way back at the beginning of 2015.

The jewel picker upper has to be one of the best cheap tools on the market simply because of the number of irreplaceable tiny parts that are prevented from going into orbit, and it's such a simple piece of kit too.

It does a good job of removing that obstinate speck of dust from the inside of the crystal without leaving any residue as well. You know the one, it's that mote that you don't spot until you have cased up the watch so you have to open it all up again, and then the air puffer won't shift it or if it does it just lands somewhere else on the crystal......  Jewel picker upper gets it every time

:thumbsu:

• 3 years later...
On 9/25/2019 at 9:12 PM, watchweasol said:

when removing shocks etc do it in an enclosed space (poly bag) it limits the distance they travel and you know they are in the bag somewhere !! 

That is an interesting suggestion. I'll see if I can find a bag that will allow the necessary visibility of the spring..

But I definitely spend too much time on the floor, looking for those bloody springs. 

So far, my best method was to hold the spring with Rodico and use tweezers to direct (not to hold) into it's slot. The risk of it flying is much reduced 

Edited by Knebo
  • Like 1