Omega Chronostop Case

Stevelp

Hi everyone!  So I’ve just picked up my first Omega and to be honest I am very excited to start this project!  It’s an Omega Chronostop with a broken balance and tangles mainspring but otherwise mechanically seems in good shape.  I’ve accumulated all the pieces necessary to do the repair mechanically so now I’m on to the case.  I’d like to get it restored back to original but not quite sure where to go. I brought the case in to my nearest Omega dealer and they said it could not be sent to a service centre to be re-done as I dont have any original paperwork.  Since there is a sunburst finish on the case a lapping machine would be ideal.  Can a person send in a case independently from a dealer to Omega?  If not, can anyone recommend a case restorer that could bring it back close to original finishes?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0154AD0C-6F92-41C6-85AE-1E18C3769372.jpeg

C904E518-53A0-4DA2-976E-3ACBC89FE641.jpeg

• Like 1

Did I read that correctly, omega said that they wouldn't service it because you didn't have any original paperwork. 

As for the case refer, there is loads of people all over the world doing it. 

As for it as it stands, I had one in a similar condition, I cleaned it serviced it gave the case a polish and its looking good, no original paperwork needed... 

On 9/19/2019 at 5:57 AM, Stevelp said:

I brought the case in to my nearest Omega dealer and they said it could not be sent to a service centre to be re-done as I dont have any original paperwork.  Since there is a sunburst finish on the case a lapping machine would be ideal.  Can a person send in a case independently from a dealer to Omega?  

Only the entire watch. Omega lists service (high) prices on their website, for the rest they would give a stellar estimate. There are very few high level case refurbisher around. 

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

Thanks AlexiJ1 for the recommendation and everyone else for the input.  Replateit.com did come up during my search and I was hoping someone here would mention their quality of work.  I think I have decided I will send it to Lewis Watch Co. in Australia, his work looks exceptional from what I've seen.  antonyh, yes they said they would not accept it due to no original paperwork.

13 hours ago, Stevelp said:

, yes they said they would not accept it due to no original paperwork.

That is big BS, papers are never a requirement and it would be unreasonable to expect everyone has them. They were cherry picking work and come up with an excuse to send you away. 

• 7 months later...

Hey everyone!  So I thought I would follow up on the progress of this project.  I got the case back from being refinished and it turned out really well!  I gave the movement a once over and a service as it obviously has had a fairly rough life.  There were a number of broken wheels, particularly the chronograph runner and drive wheel, 4th wheel pivot was bent and  the hairspring was torn and the balance pivots where both broken.  Topped it all off with a new crystal and this is the finished product. 

OMEGA1.jpg

OMEGA2.jpg

• Like 2