Stereo Microscope

After VAT, shipping, and the Pound to USD exchange rate it became cost prohibitive.

I ordered an Amscope SE-400-Z instead. 10X and 20X pairs with X1 objective. I also won’t have to buy a voltage converter.

I hope it works just as well as the Brunel BM-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Santa left me one of these under the tree :thumbsu:

I like to take this quiet time to clean and redress all my tools and equipment.

The microscope was used to check my tweezers, screwdrivers and holders, the screen gives a great picture of the critical parts and is much better than using an eyeglass.  My tweezers in particular now have complete contacts (no bent up end, flat faces etc) and square ends, so hopefully fewer parts will go flying away.  They certainly seem to pick-up better.  My drivers were manly ok with only the odd burr to remove.  The edges on my holders are now better and seem to hold better.

Can't wait to use on watch movements and maybe go back and sort out some the messed up hairsprings !!!!

I also purchased one of these thanks @canthusand @transporter

I too use it for dressing tweezers, screwdrivers and the like but for watch movements I would not be without my long arm microscope for most of the work....However it is good for recording a dismantle process on a micro sd card for later reference or in laymans terms Where the b..... hell does that piece go.

• 2 weeks later...

I use an Carl Zeiss Stemi DV4 Stereo Microscope to inspect the jewels with, before I used it as one is supposed to but nowadays I have become a bit lazy and put a cheap USB camera on the ocular. Took me 22 minutes to make it with a 3D printer.
One can get quite a nice picture on a computer screen with a setup like that and even take one odd picture on for example a cap jewel.

USB_Zeiss.jpg

Stemi DV4.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mlfloyd1 said:

Elevation speaking, when working on watches should the microscope be used on top of the watch bench or on top of a standard desk?

I would guess that depends on how long you work by the microscope. At a labaratory one mostly costum fit the microscope to fit your hight and so on. I use a standard desk but have an adjustable chair instead.

Some of our yonger personel even likes to stand on a ergonomic rubber matt instead of sitting.
Here is some instructions from Leica about the matter.

• Like 2

Reading this thread has me really wanting a stereo microscope.  I'm just a watch hobbyist, but I also do quite a bit of work on smallish firearm assemblies.  I've been looking at scopes like some of the 10-20x ones on Ebay for over a year now.  There is one that gives an 8" working area, which seems like it would be adequate.  Some times, even when using a loop I will bump my screwdriver hand with the loop. A little separation seems like it would be a nice thing.

From this thread, it sounds like the 10x power is the most utilized?

• 6 months later...

Just to be clear: this is being sold by the Horology Club that I am a member of; I won’t benefit from any sale but the club will (which is a good thing!). Mods please feel free to nuke this post if that crosses any lines.

With that out of the way, I’d just like to point out a large Zeiss microscope that is being ebayed at the moment in Essex, England. Listing is 254317526719

People may not notice it as it is not listed under watch or clock tools.

It’s a medical quality ‘scope on a blooming big stand! From what I’m told the working distance is perfectly suitable for watches and clocks (depending of course on how big your clock tools are!).

So If anyone is in the market for a decent quality ‘scope in that area it could be of interest to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I’ve just had a look. Quite an impressive piece.  

We don't need to nuke your post. :D

Thanks OH. I'd have the thing myself but I already have a stereo scope, and the first time my wife saw the big stand she would no doubt string me up from it!

• 1 month later...

Why a stereo microscope is recommended instead of a single lens one? As opposed to the traditional loupe recommended in lieu of a stereo visor?

Does anyone know of an especially small and lightweight model? 

Edited by jdm