Broken Omega crown

Hi,

I wanted to repair and service an Omega Seamaster DeVille with a monobloc case. It has a two-piece stem so I pulled the crown.

Turns out I pulled the crown to bits :gym: That has never happened before LOL. The rubber snapped in the process.

Did I just ruin a perfectly fine original crown or can it be fixed?

IMG_20190915_1317051.jpg

It just gave way after many years. Replace the gasket if possible and put back together. Put it back together, maybe you will have to slightly press the outer rim of the washers with a staking tool before fitting so that it so slightly widened to make a good fit. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Just replace it with a new one. 

43 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

New crown.

I would but this is the original signed crown. These are expensive and the watch will be worth quite a bit less if I fit a generic crown.

Can't find a gasket though and a new original crown is 20 GBP. The reference number is the 14915 by the way.

Edited by Nutiborskoku
Added something later
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nutiborskoku said:

I would but this is the original signed crown. These are expensive and the watch will be worth quite a bit less if I fit a generic crown.

Correct. Beside, a good principle in watchmaking is to repair where possible. Otherwise we could be just called parts swappers. 

27 minutes ago, Nutiborskoku said:

Can't find a gasket though and a new original crown is 20 GBP. The reference number is the 14915 by the way.

I didn,t think a new original crown would be this inexpensive. 

Regards joe

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, swisschronic said:

I would say if you are really set on using that particular crown JB weild is worth its weight in watch crowns. Cold weld and a new gasket.

?!? Promising cold weld is the same as promising cold fusion - physics doesn't allow that. Read above to learn how it can be repaired without using gluse.

• Haha 1