Citizen cryston, one piece

Ishima

Hi everyone I have been left with a citizen crystron.

It appears to be a one piece case indeed im certain theres no seem between the "case back" and case. Ive done many one piece watches however this being a bit rare and  a 600m water resistant watch (im thinking the glass will be near impossible to blow out withof air pressure) id really like to see if anyone had any experience or insights with these before I commit to trying to open it.

15684642020761996097186.jpg

15684644234051692643469.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

Will that ring come off? 

Being it a diver watch the rotating bezel is of course removable. Then use a Seiko S-14 or similar tool to remove the crystal.

Incidentally i couldn't find mine today, luckily Mrs jdm came to help! 

DSC_0082.JPG

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ishima said:

Thanks for the help everyone but I think by whats being suggested it would be wisest for me to admit defeat here.

Why defeat, is not that much a difficult problem. Not even the tool is expensive. Of course, if you have no good reason to take it apart or aren't comfortable servicing the mov't or doing a restoration, then leave it alone and so be it.

Edited by jdm

Almost zero experience with removing and refitting bezels, it's a blindspot for me and ive always considered it too hair-raising, i'd rather let my companies' central workshop deal with the odd bezel issue, don't even have tools specific for bezel work, neither do I have an s-14 tool or simular, Im not exactly sure how inexpensive they are, but at the end of the day I'm only trying to carry out a battery change. (in theory, it might need more than that given its age) In short I just don't feel like there's a lot of profit in it for the cost and risk, better to focus on the other jobs i have and send this one up.

Actually, I'm kind of tempted to fix that blindspot now. got plenty of scrap watches to practice on, what's the minimum set of tools you'd suggest?

Edited by Ishima

19 minutes ago, Ishima said:

Almost zero experience with removing and refitting bezels

There are probably more posting on diver's bezels than any other horology subject, anyway:

Removal: insert $2 Seiko type knife (any variety) and pry. Do not twist. 

Fitting: watch and bezel face down on bench, both hands on back, push down with all your weight if needed. If doesn't snap in (very unlikely on old popular pieces) use a snap-back or crystal press. 

S-14 or equivalent crystal pliers: check eBay. We aren't talking Bergeon robbery here.

If it’s anything like the newer citizen monocoque cases you pry off the rotating bezel and can see the crystal is pressed into a crystal holding ring which is then pressed into the case. Pry out the crystal and ring as a unit and you will see a lever to release the stem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

There's  gotta be another  way. This is a battery  powered  watch. Why would  citizen  make  it such a PITA to do such a routine  chore as battery  replacement? I just can't  envision  having to remove a bezel and crystal  to replace  a battery. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yankeedog said:

There's  gotta be another  way. This is a battery  powered  watch. Why would  citizen  make  it such a PITA to do such a routine  chore as battery  replacement? I just can't  envision  having to remove a bezel and crystal  to replace  a battery. 

There is no other way. Note well, it is a 600m waterproof watch, these are normally built with as single piece cases, quartz or mechanical.

Edited by jdm
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, yankeedog said:

I guess.if you really need such a watch you must be willing to accept it's requirements.

Nobody needs a 600m diver's watch or for that matter not even a 200m one or a diver watch at all. Diving, even recreational, is done with wrist computers not watches, since some 25 years now. That being said I like to wear a diver's watch often, especially in water.

A single piece case construction is simply a sophistication and perceived robustness aspect, which is appealing to some buyers, like a tourbillon is to others, for a different style. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2019 at 2:13 AM, meanoldmanning said:

If it’s anything like the newer citizen monocoque cases you pry off the rotating bezel and can see the crystal is pressed into a crystal holding ring which is then pressed into the case. Pry out the crystal and ring as a unit and you will see a lever to release the stem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just came back to report that this was indeed the case.

Our central workshop returned it to us undone , so I decided to remove the bezel and take a look, I was pretty overjoyed to see the notch and realised what I was looking at.

Im glad I shared your other suspicion early on regarding the stem lever, a lesser technician might have forced it and damaged it.

I now having it ticking and awaiting collection, thanks everyone.

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 2:52 AM, yankeedog said:

In the nicest possible way, you have no idea, my friend.:D

Theres so much out there designed to be difficult as possible, often on purpose.

Edited by Ishima