Purra

Omega Seamaster Cosmic 1969 cannon pinion tightning?

Question

Hi, 

I've bought a Omega Seamaster Cosmic manual wind from 1969 with probably a loose cannon pinion because it lost time. I tried to tighten it but split it in half. I ordered a new cannon pinion for this cal. However when i'm placing it it doesnt need any force to place. It drops right in place. Could it be that even the new cannon pinion needs tightning? The hour and minute hands just don't move now, only when I pull the crown. I was expecting that a new cannon pinion would instantly solve the problem buf it didn't. Or could there anything other wrong. 

I tried to let it be serviced but my watchmaker refused because I didn't but it at his place. And I want to learn watch repairing. 

Yours,

9 minutes ago, Purra said:

Thank you all for thinking with me on this problem. I just tightened the cannon pinion a little bit. I know its new and I shouldn't have to do that, but the watch is old therefore the center tube is also old. Now the minute hand moves!! I'll have to watch out I didn't over do it and the watch runs too slow, but we'll see!

:Bravo:  

1 minute ago, Purra said:

You're right.

It could also be that is slow at the escapement. You could tell with a timegrapher or equivalent application, which is a mandatory tool working with mechanical watches.

22 hours ago, Purra said:

Thanks a lot for the link. However I can't seem to find the right one. I think my thread is 0.6mm 

I bought a new (digital) caliper and the thread is now 0.8mm. :) Those I can find! :D

6 minutes ago, Purra said:

I bought a new (digital) caliper and the thread is now 0.8mm.

I was to say there are no 0.6 stems, thanks for confirming. Good move with the calipers, you may not believe that but we have seen people here refusing to spend such little blessed money. 

Edited by jdm