Omega Seamaster Cosmic 1969 cannon pinion tightning?

Purra

Hi, 

I've bought a Omega Seamaster Cosmic manual wind from 1969 with probably a loose cannon pinion because it lost time. I tried to tighten it but split it in half. I ordered a new cannon pinion for this cal. However when i'm placing it it doesnt need any force to place. It drops right in place. Could it be that even the new cannon pinion needs tightning? The hour and minute hands just don't move now, only when I pull the crown. I was expecting that a new cannon pinion would instantly solve the problem buf it didn't. Or could there anything other wrong. 

I tried to let it be serviced but my watchmaker refused because I didn't but it at his place. And I want to learn watch repairing. 

Yours,

4 minutes ago, Purra said:

I will clean it, so you're saying i need to tighten the cannon pinion? Do i need to feel some resistance placing the cannon pinion on the tube? 

Thanks for the pics. 

Yes. It should fit on with a push. Just make sure you do not damage the teeth to the minute wheel. 

Yes you feel some resistance thereafter, tighten in small increments/ turns towards the end, keep trying the canon pinion on the tube. 

I have never tried this with the tube in the movement. Do not remove the pinion off the nailclipper prongs during the entire tightening process, grab somewhere in the midle of the tube. 

Good luck

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

I have used a piece of sand paper to falttened sharp blades of the nailclipper to prevent damaging the canon pinion. 

Good luck pal

good show.  i would use a stone or file to Dub the sharp edge.  put a drill rod in the tube before making the crush. you can very the crush via the drill rod size.    vin

• Thanks 1

I checked the sheet. I have ordered the 1219  (2.70mm) This measurement is the height, right? When I compare both the old cannon pinion with the new one. I can't find a indentation on the new one, but I also had a hard time finding a indentation on the old one when it wasn't broken yet. It seems perfectly round. 

It looks like this:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor 560-1219

image.png.797d7074b794fbf1e86faf6c919ff8ce.png

1 hour ago, Purra said:

Here are the pics of the canon pinion before tightening. Thanks for the clear instructions. 

So my best shot is now cleaning the tube and tightening the cannon pinion I guess.

IMGur: https://imgur.com/a/hvGAlEg

IMG_7974.JPEG

IMG_7975.JPEG

IMG_7976.JPEG

IMG_7977.JPEG

IMG_7978.JPEG

Can,t see the minute arbor, on which min hand gets mounted, if so OH predicted correct," wrong canon pinion, it is just too tall"

Purrs, from the s it looks like the center wheel staff is much smaller than the cannon pinion. Is ther visible space between the staff and the cannon pinion? If so, perhaps the center wheel post is worn or not original? To tighten the cannon pinion to fit the staff should be an imperceptible adjustment measured in microns. If you have to tighten a visible amount, I think something else is afoot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

It doesn't feel like its moving at all when I perform a side shake, its not loose on the sides but it does fall in place without force. Silly question: The minute hand is mounted to the cannon pinion, right, and not to the center wheel staff.

• Thanks 1

It doesn't feel like its moving at all when I perform a side shake, its not loose on the sides but it does fall in place without force. Silly question: The minute hand is mounted to the cannon pinion, right, and not to the center wheel staff.

Depends on if there is a center sweep second hand. If not, yes. The minute hand mounts to the center wheel staff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Purra said:

Sorry :)