Movement Identification

I have been thinking about setting up a database on this site which will provide the means for people to try and identify a particular movement.

The old Bestfit books allowed you to attempt to identify a movement by comparing certain parts with drawn diagrams and the movements were organised by size and type (automatic, chronograph, basic wind, calendar etc.)

I would propose a database where we can take pictures of movements and create a record of the size (diameter) and style of movement which can then be browsed or searched by others trying to identify. Particularly useful for vintage movements.

Well - that's the basic idea - any thoughts?

I think that's a great idea. I have a 1960s copy of the "Guide to American Pocket Watches" which gives a massive amount of data pertaining to classic makes like Hamilton, Waltham, Elgin, Illinois, South Bend, etc. I'd be happy to contribute what I can in this area, plus pics of my own movements of wrist and pocket watches.

I'm aware that most people on watch forums are probably collectors of wristwatches rather than pocket watches - but every little helps.

Incidentally, if anyone needs some basic data on American-made pocket watches, I'd be happy to look it up and supply what's needed.

I have a watch repairing friend (amateur) who has a collection of long out-of-print parts catalogues - I'm sure he'd allow me to scan and plunder...

Edited by WillFly

That would be awesome and if I'm correct unique. It would stop a lot of (scratching of heads) too. Great idea :goodjob:

Thanks Craig - a quick search on Google and I can't find any similar resource.

I'd be happy to contribute what I can in this area, plus pics of my own movements of wrist and pocket watches.

I have a watch repairing friend (amateur) who has a collection of long out-of-print parts catalogues - I'm sure he'd allow me to scan and plunder...

That sounds really good. 

I will have to brush the cobwebs off my PHP coding skills :D

I found this website a few months back, a lot of work has gone into it.  http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?12&ranfft&0&2uswk

Lots of pictures of old movements and a search facility (with bolt spring description etc.).  It would be better to have a Wikipedia style site where people can upload their own but may be difficult to keep it accurate.  Hi-Res images would be great.

Luke, I saw that site earlier but I don't think it is user friendly and the search function is not great.

Why were the Bestfit's so great? Because you could identify movements quickly and easily. First by type, then by size, then a distinguishable part like the bolt spring or yoke - simple. An online searchable version would be ideal.

And I agree - wiki style would be for the best and hi-res images is a must.

• 4 years later...