Carter

Howdy from Toronto Canada

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• If you've used properly fitting hollow ground blades for larger fasteners you know they can handle a lot more torque than a regular screw driver without damage fasteners.   The difference is so pronounced you just should not work on antique machinery/equipment with slotted fasteners without using hollow ground blades or you will botch up the fasteners. However, relative to the current debate, two things occur to me 1)  To get the performance noted above, the bit has be a very good fit in the slot.  My set has I think 85 or 90 pieces.  Without that selection and ability to find a perfect fit, their advantage pretty much disappears.    Is a watchmaker going to have a similar selection to ensure that perfect fit and futz about constantly checking microscopic differences in fit?  2) Performance is superior, but the metric is torque handling ability.  Does this even matter in watching making?   My limited experience suggest no.  otoh, if you are  regularly damaging heads of screws with taper blades than yeah, figure out how to get an assortment of hollow ground bits that work for you....but otherwise, why worry about it?   imo there is no debate to be had on what is superior, the debate is simply whether it matters given the torques involved. A young guy I know worked for Roger Smith for few years (talk about a learning opportunity!).....I'm curious on he was taught    
    • Here is my quick video for making a leather belt for a Watchmakers Lathe. Enjoy.       Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    • yes sir, forgot to mention "cone shape",  the  ajuster is a good thing,  i have over tightened the staff in the past.  this one is "floating" almost 1/16 inch !   i decided not to tighten the staff.  it's back together and keeping good time. Thanks,  vin
    • Welcome to WRT forum.  
    • the one on the left   IS   A  hollow grind.  vin