RyanGreerMcGilloway

Avystle grubby dial

Question

Hello there.

i have acquired this 70s rally style dive watch the other day. 

Not too sure on the history of Avystle, nor how much they’re worth.

i was planning on giving it a clean tonight. 

I might sand the case down to remove some scratches and clean the dial.

It looks like a delicate dial and have never cleaned one before, can anyone advise? 

35ECE75A-BCCD-468B-9D88-76C73C2FBD36.jpeg

7 answers to this question

This is a French make of watch and probably has something like a Lorsa 238 in.

I suspect 'Avystyle' relates to some kind of marketing exercise as your watch can be found with other names such as 'Spa', 'Montres de Besancon' and 'Sablier' as per the montage below!

In terms of cleaning I would not recommend it. This would have been at the cheaper end of the watch hierarchy and the dial a thin piece of brass on to which the design would be printed with non-durable paint. Start cleaning and almost certainly you'll find the paint will simply rub off!

How bad actually is the dial?! It doesn't look that bad and whilst you could certainly get rid of any loose lint type dirt gently it could be that after a nice case polish, and even a brand new shiny crystal, you keep it as is!

Avystyle.jpg

9 minutes ago, WatchMaker said:

I suspect 'Avystyle' relates to some kind of marketing exercise as your watch can be found with other names such as 'Spa', 'Montres de Besancon' and 'Sablier' as per the montage below!

In terms of cleaning I would not recommend it. This would have been at the cheaper end of the watch hierarchy and the dial a thin piece of brass on to which the design would be printed with non-durable paint. Start cleaning and almost certainly you'll find the paint will simply rub off!

How bad actually is the dial?! It doesn't look that bad and whilst you could certainly get rid of any loose lint type dirt gently it could be that after a nice case polish, and even a brand new shiny crystal, you keep it as is!

Avystyle.jpg

How on earth did you acquire this much info about the watch history in that time? 

41 minutes ago, WatchMaker said:

Avystyle.jpg

Good question, How on earth did ....... Watch historian?               ,impressivs.

I've repaired / serviced one very similar to this in the past! I recalled from my brief research at this time that there seemed to be 'variations on a theme' so I was happy to use that and go the extra mile in my reply with that montage! I also recall the dial, whilst attractive, seemed quite delicate and the paint perhaps even slightly porous. I may be wrong of course and the paint is more resilient than it looks but dials are notorious in general for their delicacy! :)

Actually if you do a search for the phrase super datomatic and then look at the images that are returned you can see how I sought out my montage pictures. I can see from this that the phrase seems to have been a trademark of the Mortima watch company for their various watches and you can find an interesting history of the company here: https://mortima.wixsite.com/mortima-watches/full-history

In terms of valuation then, as the old saying goes, this is what someone is prepared to pay for it! In that regard ebay can be your friend. So do this ... i) open ebay ii) search for avystyle iii) in the 'refine your search' / filters select Worldwide (so that all items regardless of location are returned) and iv) ditto select Sold listings (so you see items that have sold). A handful have been sold with the most recent one being at £34 on 1st September.

So not mega money and at this lower end of the scale if you had to start looking for parts to repair it can be uneconomical; but then it depends why you have the watch in the first place. Tastes of people on this forum vary of course but I personally think this is a bit of 70s cool and great to have something in your personal collection that's a bit different!

18 hours ago, RyanGreerMcGilloway said:

Hello there.

i have acquired this 70s rally style dive watch the other day. 

Not too sure on the history of Avystle, nor how much they’re worth.

i was planning on giving it a clean tonight. 

I might sand the case down to remove some scratches and clean the dial.

It looks like a delicate dial and have never cleaned one before, can anyone advise? 

35ECE75A-BCCD-468B-9D88-76C73C2FBD36.jpeg

The movement is likely a Lorsa 237 BCT because it's an automatic with a date complication.

Please don't sand the case down. I've seen a lot of these funky 70s French watches and they all had a chrome-plated case.

I have noticed that French makers often just printed their brand on a generic watch.For example I have a Pierre Chevelle  gran sport 150 diver.I have seen this same watch with perhaps a dozen different brands on the dial. I agree with the prognosis.treat the dial very gently.don't get any finger prints on it.The Lorsa movement should respond well to service. As for the case..clean gently polish lightly and install new gaskets.