• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• It happened to  me as well to the others and it has been written so many times, you never noticed? Alcohol is the normal solvent for shellac. Otherwise, it is not shellac.
    • Hi all,  thanks for taking the time to read my post. I have an old Hermes watch that has been sat in a drawer for years. It needs a few things to get it working so hoping you can help. I didn’t want to do anything before consulting this forum. 1/ The glass was replaced at some point but I think it’s the wrong type, it was a high domed acrylic glass which looks to have been glued in - I think it should be friction fit. I’ve checked on my vernier calipers and it’s bang on 30mm - the glass that has fallen out seems to have worn at the edges but it 29.7mm so may explain why it is falling out. What would you recommend I replace with? I think it would have come with acrylic from speaking to a couple of watch dealers so perhaps worth replacing with a low dome one?   2/ The face if the watch is obviously a bit sun damaged and aged which I’m ok with but it has got some dirt on it I think. I don’t know if I should just blow some compressed air on it or if I should wipe it but I’m worried about making it worse. Any suggestions welcome - I tried to get a close up.   3/ I need a new strap and pins - it’s 18mm. I was going to keep it classic so thinking a leather strap - any suggestions what I should get? Not sure what to pair it with.
    • I’m with OH, although I do have essence of Renata as well.
    • Wooooahhhh, don’t touch the hairspring yet. remove the balance complete, turn it over, does the spring lay flat when off the watch, are all the coils equally spaced apart? Have you cleaned it in essence of Renata or similar, I’ve just had the same thing almost on a Seiko 11A and the hair spring had somehow got the tiniest bit of lube on it somehow and had gummed up a few coils causing it twist up like yours. I also demagnetised the balance complete aswell. So first off mate take the balance complete out the movement and see if the hair spring lays flat. That’s your start point ok 
    • Could you post a link please? I can find the boots, but not the pins!