Hello,

I know this is a long shot but would anyone happen to have the technical sheet for the ETA 1164. I acquired this little beauty on ebay; a non-runner from the USA, which needs a lot of TLC. I've never tackled anything quite like this one but fancied the challenge. However, I'm not 100% sure yet whether the everything on the bottom plate under the dial is complete - can anyone confirm? The top plate however looks fine. The watch back is stamped "Seeland Watch Co. Swiss" - having looked it up, it appears Frederick Seeland was once CEO for IWC! Nice historical timepiece once I've restored it. I've added a few photos for reference (yes, I've removed the balance :biggrin:).

Thanks in advance.

20190906_171457062_iOS.jpg

20190906_190636488_iOS.jpg

20190907_160021470_iOS.jpg

interesting.I have never seen one.it appears complete.But I cannot confirm that it is. the only question I would have is the screw to the immediate left of the day dial.should there be some kind of a dog there ?the day month feature is very interesting . while it may not yet be runner these dials should , i think advance when you rotate the crown in the set position.I hope there is a quickset for the month!

Edited by yankeedog
content

Thanks for your interest yankeedog. I've been looking for one of these for a while now but most are so expensive it's prohibitive on my budget, though this one will be a keeper if I can get it working. Thanks for your observation on the screw near the day dial - you may be right. There is a limited supply of parts from my materials house so I'll keep my fingers crossed if I need something. From what I've picked up from my research, the pusher at 8 sets the date pointer, and the pusher at 10 moves the month. There's no quick set for the day but I can live with that :)

Adam, I must admonish you!  The question is not if, BUT WHEN  you get it working , now my questions are ,do the day and the month advance when the time is set? Does the watch run at all ,even feebly ? if the answer to both these questions is yes , I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to get it going.

Agreed. Not every month has the same number of days.The only month with exactly  28 days is February and then only 75% of the time.It would be rather pointless to incorporate the month into the clock work since it would have to be manually reset every month.

34 minutes ago, yankeedog said:

Agreed. Not every month has the same number of days.The only month with exactly  28 days is February and then only 75% of the time.It would be rather pointless to incorporate the month into the clock work since it would have to be manually reset every month.

I wear a Rolex DateJust from the 1960's as my daily wear. It does nots have quick set date and at the end of the month it requires manual intervention to correct the date. My point being, having a Month wheel that is user set would not be at all out of line.

By the way, this is a very cool watch. I want to follow your progress so post pics as you go if possible.

Edited by DavidMasters
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DavidMasters said:

My point being, having a Month wheel that is user set would not be at all out of line.

It is often the case that mechanical clocks and watches with Month, require manual intervention.

Slightly off topic, but you might find this interesting.

A fascinating mechanical contrivance, and if it piques your interest, take a look at some of his old computer restoration stuff, including a genuine Apollo AGC restore.