Making Springs—Click, Lever, etc.

Maybe I'm the only one that has problems on occasion when a click spring or lever spring takes flight never to be seen again. So, since I'm a hobbyist anyway I thought I may try making my own springs and was hoping some of you may have suggestions or other input. I guess the first question is what are springs made of? Can I buy the spring stock to bend my own springs?

Regards.

Maybe I'm the only one that has problems on occasion when a click spring or lever spring takes flight never to be seen again. So, since I'm a hobbyist anyway I thought I may try making my own springs and was hoping some of you may have suggestions or other input. I guess the first question is what are springs made of? Can I buy the spring stock to bend my own springs?
Regards.

I like your spirit, young man!! But, spring steel is a different animal. If you bend it beyond its design it will weaken greatly. Could break. But it is possible. And they are usually made of “spray no steel”. You might have better luck looking for the exact part you need. It’s amazing what people have that you might need, including on this forum.

As for having springs, especially those little kif buggers, fly into another dimension right before your eyes; well you’re not a watch maker until you fill that alternate universe at least 11/16ths FULL of horological fiddly bits. Welcome to the club, my friend.

Just a suggestion the next time you approach a potential flier, use rodico to tack it down to plate before you touch it. This usually catches about 25% of potential losses.

Good luck. If you do make your own I think w would all love to see it! Please?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ITProDad said:

I like your spirit, young man!! But, spring steel is a different animal. If you bend it beyond its design it will weaken greatly. Could break. But it is possible. And they are usually made of “spray no steel”. You might have better luck looking for the exact part you need. It’s amazing what people have that you might need, including on this forum.

As for having springs, especially those little kif buggers, fly into another dimension right before your eyes; well you’re not a watch maker until you fill that alternate universe at least 11/16ths FULL of horological fiddly bits. Welcome to the club, my friend.

Just a suggestion the next time you approach a potential flier, use rodico to tack it down to plate before you touch it. This usually catches about 25% of potential losses.

Good luck. If you do make your own I think w would all love to see it! Please?

I’ve done a bit of research and I keep seeing guitar string as a spring material. Just a guess but it looks like most click type springs are about .3-.4mm. 

I have not looked at the OEM spring build process but I suspect the wire is heated then shaped otherwise such sharp bends looks to me like it would easily break the wire. 

I know buying what I need is the easy answer but I like challenges so unless I find it is a big extended process then I’ll give it a go just for the experience. 

Regards. 

• Like 1

I’ve done a bit of research and I keep seeing guitar string as a spring material. Just a guess but it looks like most click type springs are about .3-.4mm. 
I have not looked at the OEM spring build process but I suspect the wire is heated then shaped otherwise such sharp bends looks to me like it would easily break the wire. 
I know buying what I need is the easy answer but I like challenges so unless I find it is a big extended process then I’ll give it a go just for the experience. 
Regards. 

Guitar strings!!??! Brilliant! Tempering after shaping might keep its shape. Can’t wait to see your progress. Keep us posted?

You may be interested in this previous thread: https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/11979-spring-wire-for-a-click-spring-015mm

There has to be a market for these kind of springs! Anyone who works with watches and hasn't inadvertently launched a spring somewhere never to be found again at some time is fibbing! ^_^

After working on a movement where the date jumper spring was placed in just such a way that it could make a bid for freedom as soon as the retaining plate was gently loosened, I now always perform such an operation within a clear plastic bag!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WatchMaker said:

You may be interested in this previous thread: https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/11979-spring-wire-for-a-click-spring-015mm

There has to be a market for these kind of springs! Anyone who works with watches and hasn't inadvertently launched a spring somewhere never to be found again at some time is fibbing! ^_^

After working on a movement where the date jumper spring was placed in just such a way that it could make a bid for freedom as soon as the retaining plate was gently loosened, I now always perform such an operation within a clear plastic bag!

Thanks for the link. I thought I searched well enough before posting, but I didn't. Since I'm located in the USA I use Esslinger and others here for parts and tools. Here is a 0.17mm with they have. This seems like about the size most click type springs require. Cheap enough to experiment with. Now, on to the process of making springs from wire... 

https://www.esslinger.com/peerless-round-spring-steel-watch-and-clock-wire/

Regards.

There has to be a market for these kind of springs! Anyone who works with watches and hasn't inadvertently launched a spring somewhere never to be found again at some time is fibbing! [emoji5]

I tried building a small tent of plastic sheeting over my mat with holes for my hands and head. But I could only work in it for about 4 minutes before blacking out. So I decided to practice more, use rodico and patiently wait for like items to come up on flea bay to replace those that obtained freedom through deleterious means. Never thought to cover only the movement and my hands. Learn something every day! :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, ITProDad said:

I tried building a small tent of plastic sheeting over my mat with holes for my hands and head. But I could only work in it for about 4 minutes before blacking out. So I decided to practice more, use rodico and patiently wait for like items to come up on flea bay to replace those that obtained freedom through deleterious means. Never thought to cover only the movement and my hands. Learn something every day! :-)

Hilarious :D    Good lungs though.