Jump to content
JBerry

Watchmakers Bench Advice- Durston

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I've just moved to Copenhagen, Denmark, and rather than buy another generic desk and put extendable legs on it, I would like to invest in a nice sturdy bench with armrests, drawers etc.

So far the best option I can see for my budget (<€800), is the 5 draw Durston option on CousinsUK: https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/watchmakers-benches-durston

Does anyone have any experience with this bench? Or have any other recommendations for a nice cheap-ish bench?

Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever size bench you have it will never be big enough. Your posture is something you need to sort out, as damage can be caused to your spine and neck and eyesight. Height is very important. A comfortable seat, one that can be adjusted is best.   Plenty of good draw space and you need hands on for tools. I see both benches have green as the covering and edges.  The covering doesn’t go right to the edge that is poor, parts can be trapped and on that colour wood hard to see. Many on here buy old benches and do them up. There are photos of member’s work places on here in a thread. You could do a search. Don’t rush into the first thing you see. Planning your bench for you to work at is very important, after all you are going to spend a lot of time there.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I often wonder why a glovebox, at least chin high and adjustable hight didn,t become standardized. The golve box should accomodate camrea, telescope, lighting etc. Disposable or remove to wash gloves.

Such set up ends the pain of loosing flying parts, saves your spine and neck, no dirt,oil, grease contamination from hands transfered to the piece.and above all fewer mosquitos land on the site to pay a visit in the midst of working a sensative task:lol:.

Furthure I don,t see why we can,t make one with fraction of the cost.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

I often wonder why a glovebox, at least chin high and adjustable hight didn,t become standardized. The golve box should accomodate camrea, telescope, lighting etc. Disposable or remove to wash gloves.

Such set up ends the pain of loosing flying parts, saves your spine and neck, no dirt,oil, grease contamination from hands transfered to the piece.and above all fewer mosquitos land on the site to pay a visit in the midst of working a sensative task:lol:.

Furthure I don,t see why we can,t make one with fraction of the cost.

 

 

Mosquitos! #1 thing about living in Ireland/what I will miss, is that we just don't have them!

Glovebox sounds cool but from my experience the full length gloves get very sweaty. Maybe a modified sandblasting cabinet could work too?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Whatever size bench you have it will never be big enough. Your posture is something you need to sort out, as damage can be caused to your spine and neck and eyesight. Height is very important. A comfortable seat, one that can be adjusted is best.   Plenty of good draw space and you need hands on for tools. I see both benches have green as the covering and edges.  The covering doesn’t go right to the edge that is poor, parts can be trapped and on that colour wood hard to see. Many on here buy old benches and do them up. There are photos of member’s work places on here in a thread. You could do a search. Don’t rush into the first thing you see. Planning your bench for you to work at is very important, after all you are going to spend a lot of time there.   

Thanks for the reply OH!

I'll be keeping an eye out for a used bench.

My brother is a cabinet maker, so eventually I will ask him to make my dream bench, but he is so busy now I would feel bad to ask him this favour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JBerry said:

Mosquitos! #1 thing about living in Ireland/what I will miss, is that we just don't have them!

Glovebox sounds cool but from my experience the full length gloves get very sweaty. Maybe a modified sandblasting cabinet could work too?

 

A glove box about a foot wide with gloves on each side, not suppose to accomodate the watchmaker himself just his hands, no sweat. 

I got a cheap LED telescope seeing the piece on a 50 inch screen is a treat. One disadvantage though is, mosquito looks as big as a parrot. Another disadvantage is I often find myself looking at the piece but details are to be seen on the screen.  

No cabinet neither just nylon compartment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...