Seiko case back opening

Khan

As replied in other threads, all you need to do is going around the seam slowly and carefully with a sharp blade, like an Xacto knife until you can fit a regular case tool. 

Just curious why you feel the need to hide the serial numbers on this Seiko 5?

Don't pry this one! See the little square cutouts on one side of the case (highlighted in the picture below) these correspond to small meal springs built into the caseback, which can be seen in the right side on your photo, push these in towards the inside of the watch with a screwdriver and this will allow the caseback to lift out from this side

photo_editor_1567604564041.jpg.62aff59c1be678d920fd24b320806481.jpg

Edited by JBerry
Added photo

7 minutes ago, Khan said:

Hello to you both

Thanks alot - it worked! Now how do I access to the movement? Through the dial? 

Jdm - nothing to hide really. I like keeping the numbers private so that only the owner knows them. 

A picture would help now that you have the case opened. In the Seiko I had with a similar case I believe to one side of the dial there was a lever to release the stem, the dial and movement could then be removed from the caseback. Yours may be different though

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Hello and welcome from Leeds. 
    • Unfortunately I'm not that lucky. I started on the train side and after I noticed the binding I pulled everything out except the driving wheel to rule everything else out. It still binds. I'm going to double check that the pinion is fully seated on the staff first, then if no joy I'll push the bridge jewel up a fraction of a mm. Fingers crossed!
    • Happy to have helped, great way to start the day with a win! 🥳
    • Thank you for the advise!! It worked. The setting screw was a lock/unlock to remove the rotor. 
    • I have that French tech sheet too, it is a little different than the English one (eg, it doesn't have the auto works diagram). BTW, it looks like you are looking up the case number in the 1979 ABC supplement. The 1974 ABC catalog does have the 3093 case. As you determined it takes the 1222-5 crystal.  When I serviced my President 'A' (which also takes that crystal), I was able to fit a 29.8 crystal from my DPA crystal assortment. Those are, in my opinion, a great deal. The assortment comes with 10 sizes each from 27.8mm to 32.4mm in 0.2 increments. I pretty much use them for any non-armored crystal that takes a high dome crystal. I think they no longer make them but Cousins has still has some in stock but when I bought them they were around $40 for the set and now they are around $100. Still, at 40 cents a crystal it's still a good deal. For the large driving wheel, I remember I once assembled the keyless/motion works first and when I placed the large driving wheel it was interfering with the setting wheel on the dial side as the teeth were not fully meshing and it wouldn't fully seat. If that isn't the issue I got nothing and am looking forward to see how you solve it 🙂