Didn't Have A Cyma - Now I Do...

WillFly

I have a kind of tick list of old watch makes which I'm interested in acquiring as opportunity arrives, and the list currently includes makes like Doxa, Record, etc. It also includes Cyma/Tavannes. Coincidentally, as a description of a Cyma Cymaflex came up on the forum recently, a similar movement appeared on eBay. So I had a punt and got it - hopefully it should arrive by next week. 'Yer 'tis:

post-64-0-72396200-1419158049_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-22194800-1419158051_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Cyma's are great, you'll love it Will.  You've got a really clean example there mate.

Few tips for working on their movements that I discovered:

• Keep an old set of screwdriver tips for working on Cyma Movements.  You have to reprofile to a pointer tip for their screwheads, as they are slightly narrower then you normal Swiss movement. 
  • I also found having a 0.9mm very handy with the Cyma's I've worked on ... just fits the bill nicely; where the 0.8 feels inadequate, and the 1mm is just too big.
  • And lastly, with the R-425 and similar calibers, pay very close attention to sorting your screws out before assembly, as they have several screws the same diameter and length, with different thread pitch and different head finishes ... just to frustrate you :wacko: