Removing the stem from an ETA 2824

This one has me stymied. Every time I remove the stem from an ETA 2824, Sellita SW220 or Seagull ST2130 (or even a $20 clone off eBay), when I re-insert it the sliding pinion jumps off the yoke. I know you are supposed to pull out the stem to the setting position when removing it and I am very careful upon re-insertion, but I just don't seem to have the magic touch. I have tried both with and without depressing the release button, but to no avail. Is there a trick to it?

Since you know that having the stem in the hand-set position when removing I would imagine you know that the stem release only needs to be depressed a little bit.. ie to the depth of the slot using a suitable screwdriver. You mentioned that you've tried to insert the stem without pressing the release.. I have not much success with this... you need to press the release button slightly and insert stem.

The other thing I would check is if the set-lever components are totally flat.. even if they are slightly bent they can cause problems.

Good luck.

Anilv

• Like 1

Perhaps I'm depressing the the release too much and deflecting the yoke in the process. I know that during my first attempt to replace the stem, I got frustrated and applied too much force and broke the yoke.

606575641_brokenyoke.jpg.5d8e114549b95dd8cd276b62be437314.jpg

Fortunately they are easy to find and not too expensive. I bought two, just in case. ;) 

Depressing the release is not the expertise of solely newbee'e.

Where the release botton is place in a circulare hole combined with an oval hole. The oval hole presets a depth limit to press the release button.

Consider the larger oval diameter, insert the widest blade screwdiver it can accomodate in. You can,t go wrong.

Edited by Nucejoe
Over- depressing
  • Like 1

A couple of other tricks

Re-nsert the stem as soon as possible after removing it, and try not to tap or invert the movement till it is back in. The longer the stem is out of the movement, the more likely you are to disturb things. 

Keep the stem completely flat, or angled very slightly towards the mischievous spring as you insert it.

Insert it very gently so you can feel the edges of the clutch parts as it works its way in. Poking it in hard will almost certainly move stuff about. 

Go in to the operation with the attitude that there is every possibility that you are going to have to remove the dial so it is a bonus if you don't.

This issue also affects a bunch of other movements, so the techniques apply with those too.

I was working on an old Poljot 2609H based USSR era watch last night, that arrived with the spring already sprung as it were, and thus it didn't wind or set. I also have an HMT 0231 based Janata sitting here with the same symptoms, that most likely has the same issue.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, eccentric59 said:

This one has me stymied. Every time I remove the stem from an ETA 2824, Sellita SW220 or Seagull ST2130 (or even a $20 clone off eBay), when I re-insert it the sliding pinion jumps off the yoke. I know you are supposed to pull out the stem to the setting position when removing it and I am very careful upon re-insertion, but I just don't seem to have the magic touch. I have tried both with and without depressing the release button, but to no avail. Is there a trick to it?

I press the release gently and wiggle the stem slightly until it seats. Patience is the word for this process and you'll get it done.

• Like 2