70s Newmark Dive watch

35 minutes ago, RyanGreerMcGilloway said:

I have another issue among many. I have lots my cover plate to the balance jewel. :pulling-hair-out:

perhaps I’ve not the skill for this hobby :phew:

If I had a penny for every tiny component I have pinged into some parallel dimension, I'd probably have an 18 liter bucket of pennies. 
They usually turn up  again, after a long search, or more likely, when you go looking for the next thing you loose.:lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@RyanGreerMcGilloway

I'll take a look, but I doubt if I have a balance.

That is the one part that you will almost certainly need to purchase, since it is probably the first thing that gets robbed from any donor movement. I think Cousins may have them.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/search?SearchTerm=EB8800

There will be a difference between the "shock proof" version and the non shock one, so make sure you select the correct one.

I might buy this watch and just replace my movement with it. 

Can someone confirm that this will fit my watch and i can add the calendar wheel onto it?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Donada-17-Jewel-Watch-EB8800-Movement-Ticking-Repairs-T10/153620778112?hash=item23c4830c80:g:-IsAAOSw3SFdQY7W

On 9/4/2019 at 2:19 PM, RyanGreerMcGilloway said:

I might buy this watch and just replace my movement with it. 

Can someone confirm that this will fit my watch and i can add the calendar wheel onto it?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Donada-17-Jewel-Watch-EB8800-Movement-Ticking-Repairs-T10/153620778112?hash=item23c4830c80:g:-IsAAOSw3SFdQY7W

The balance from that one should fix your original, the only trouble is.. then you will feel compelled to find a balance for the donor... and the donor is not a date version, so you will need to swap parts, rather than the whole movement... and ... what about that other watch you saw while looking for the donor, ... "Oooh... that looks good too.. and that Seiko looks mighty fine... I'll just put a small bid on that one too..."

Watch your step, this game can become quite addictive. :P

Edited by AndyHull

I had a quick look, I don't have any EB8800 balances, but I do have the other broken part. If you manage to track down the missing bit (try a magnet in a small poly bag, rolled around the area), let me know if you need that stem retaining lever.

Edited by AndyHull

Hi everyone,

I really appreciate all of your assistance on the above watch.

I have now sourced a complete movement where ill just replace. 

I have another query regarding general watch case cleaning. 

I dont believe this watch is stainless steel  and there is some signs of brassing / brownness underneath on the edges.

Is it possible to clean this and restore it to its former gleam?

18B995BF-8D2B-4EF1-B133-229970AB913C.jpeg

That rather depends on what you mean by restore, and how much effort you are willing to put in.

If you simply polish it, then it will become less obvious, however the only way to replace the worn plating is to re-plate it, which is generally for more costly than the watch is worth, so generally there is little incentive to do so.

However in the case of an expensive watch, plating is an option, and theoretically gold, nickel and rhodium plating  is possible with a home workshop electroplating kit (expect to pay upwards of £100 for a basic set up, but you could do it for less if you already have a suitable power supply and so forth).

The watch you posted about is probably chrome plated, and that is a different problem. Re-plating chrome is possible, but it involves toxic chemicals, and stripping off the existing plating (the existing plating is also potentially toxic and may even produce  haxavalent chrome byproducts).

I would start by cleaning and polishing the case, which will lift it from being rather dull to shiny, if not completely perfect.

Wear glove if polishing chrome, and don't go eating the cleaning rags afterwards, and you will be fine.  :P

If you were to go down the rabbit hole of re-plating, you would need to strip the old plating, polish the case to a mirror finish, and then in all probability, copper plate first, then re-polish, then rhodium or nickel plate, then polish again. Alternatively you could take (or send) the case to a professional re-finisher (look for them online) and have them do all the hard work. Expect to part with an arm an a leg in the process though.

I wouldn't sand it, since the plating is damaged already, and sanding will simply remove more of it.

I suggest you try something like Brasso or T-Cut on it. These also work wonders on the crystal.

If there are light scratches, you might get away with using 800 or 1000 grit or even finer on those areas, but you will still need to finish with something very fine metal polish. Jeweler's rouge, or even fine diamond lapping paste also works, but Brasso or T-cut are just as good in my experience.

Look around this forum and on-line for tips on cleaning and polishing the case and crystal. It is worth the effort, as it can turn an OK looking watch into something much closer to the way it left the factory.

Edited by AndyHull