70s Newmark Dive watch

Hello fellow enthusiasts!

I have a vintage newmark dive watch. 

I really love the bezel and two crowns. 

I would love love to get this baby back to it’s former glory. However, there a few issues preventing me.

Perhaps you guys / gals can help me.

The major issue is that the one piece of the stem locking system has sheared. I’m not sure what it’s called. The pin that stops the stem from pulling right out and when it should be working can be pulled and the mechanism shifts to wind. The peice that’s rests on the movement is fine, but someone has forced the stem out and snapped the pin that stops it.can anyone please advise.

Another issue is that the dial legs have also sheared off.  

The rear back plate also doesn’t press down all the way and therefore there’s too much movement within the case for the movement. 

The balance is also randomly stopping.

Please can have some advice.

89089AE5-BF34-4F17-BDFA-488986A10804.jpeg

18B995BF-8D2B-4EF1-B133-229970AB913C.jpeg

1410C6B2-C537-4F07-BCA1-1B08B139131B.jpeg

AEEB70F0-E4A1-4DC3-9932-90B84975C72D.png

Looks like an EB8805 -> https://17jewels.info/movements/e/eb/eb-8805/

image.png.4f321964e15ed7ea938d01a54f2e21ef.png

image.png.ea5b5a3526d2062ab717c4e4b015cf65.png

It should be relatively easy to find a donor movement, as they were produced in large numbers.

I may in fact have one somewhere, but I'm at work, so I can't check at the moment.

What does the broken part actually do?

Do you have access to a 3d printer to print some sort of movementretaining ring? If not you may be able to modify one from a modern quartz watch to fit.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

I presume, though the photos are unclear, that this is the jeweled version of the EB 8805, although that may not matter as I'm fairly sure the keyless work is the same on all versions, but I'll have a rummage when I get a chance and see if  I have that part in one of my donor jeweled EB 88XX movements.

Sourcing parts for these movements is generally a lot easier than with some of the higher quality stuff, simply because there were so many of them produced.

They do tend to suffer from a number of issues (in addition to the usual balance and fork problems).

The spring barrel is inclined to wear, and the strange hold down spring/bridge that keeps it in place is inclined to loose its springiness and allow things to slip. Also as you have found, the keyless work is a little fragile.

They produced a whole bunch of variants of this movement over the years, including a jump hour "digital" version - More info here -> http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&EB_8800 

... and the service sheet is here ... -> https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=25537

Edited by AndyHull

2 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

I presume, though the photos are unclear, that this is the jeweled version of the EB 8805, although that may not matter as I'm fairly sure the keyless work is the same on all versions, but I'll have a rummage when I get a chance and see if  I have that pert in one of my donor jeweled EB 88XX movements.

Sourcing parts for these movements is generally a lot easier than with some of the higher quality stuff, simply because there were so many of them produced.

They do tend to suffer from a number of issues (in addition to the usual balance and fork problems).

The spring barrel is inclined to wear, and the strange hold down spring/bridge that keeps it in place is inclined to loose its springiness and allow things to slip. Also as you have found, the keyless work is a little fragile.

They produced a whole bunch of variants of this movement over the years, including a jump hour "digital" version - More info here -> http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&EB_8800 

I greatly appreciate all of your help!!!! A real asset to this forum. 

I have had a scour through the internet to find donor movements, however i am struggling to find anything. 

I would appreciate if your could have a look in your box of bits n' bobs and will pay you for one if you can find one. 

1 minute ago, RyanGreerMcGilloway said:

I greatly appreciate all of your help!!!! A real asset to this forum. 

I have had a scour through the internet to find donor movements, however i am struggling to find anything. 

I would appreciate if your could have a look in your box of bits n' bobs and will pay you for one if you can find one. 

Always a pleasure to help.
I'm at work, so I'll take a look later. If I have one I'll message you here on the forum and pop it in the post.

If you look at my previous post, I added a link to the service manual.

If you check that and give me the part number(s) then that will ensure I send the right bit(s). 

4 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

Always a pleasure to help.
I'm at work, so I'll take a look later. If I have one I'll message you here on the forum and pop it in the post.

If you look at my previous post, I added a link to the service manual.

If you check that and give me the part number(s) then that will ensure I send the right bit(s). 

Oh sorry didnt see the second URL.

I believe its item, 443/1 as its local to the other keyless works items. 

image.png

For donor movements look on ETSY. Look at amystevensoriginals. The lady sells mainly to the art crowd . There are all kinds of movements which she sells in lots.you may have to buy five movements to get one screw.but her prices are reasonable.

Have you gentleman IDeed the caliber and the name or a picture of the parts? 

I have an 18 liter bucket of parts and seriously doubt not having what all you need.

Please also give a full list of what you need to make it one sbipment.

Hi Andy, Not having checked my bag, I am sure I have got EB8800,  I got every part except the HS and possibly the fork. Do pins pallets break easily on those ? 

Ryan speaks of other issues too, like random stop of the balance.

Only one post office appraises for customs charges in Shiraz and that is thirty km away from this side of town where I reside in, finding all faults and all he needs saves me multiple shipments.

I think same holds true for you as well.

Regards joe

8 hours ago, RyanGreerMcGilloway said:

WOW! Thank you very much! That's the exact movement.

It prevents the stem from getting pulled out and its also critical component for the keyless works. 

And i dont have access to the 3d printer.

Its not an amazing watch but i like it. 

Set lever?

Just out of interesst, what does that second crown do? I've seen some Newarks with a similar solution but they had a Ronda 1223 in them and the second crown wound the alarm. But is there an alarm on the 88XX?

3 minutes ago, RyanGreerMcGilloway said:

The second crown has no impact on the movement and only locks the rotation bezel in place 

Ah ok thank you for the answer.
I found a 1223-21 in my treasure chest but no 8800 this far.

IMG_20190903_192815.jpg