Battery change help

Hello all, I have just changed the battery on a cheap chronograph, it was working fine before, put the new battery in and nothing, put the old one back in and still nothing. I've read that on some you need to cross certain points to get them going again.

Now I've change batteries before but I think this is the 1st time I've done it on a chronograph.

The only marking on it is SL70 above the words No Jewels, like I said cheap! It's my youngest lads watch and he loves it.

Any ideas?03ac39a0a007eb34813d6dbf5a492746.jpga9c45852fe5c53d500119a933774c9c6.jpg

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Hi  BS  By the look of the backplate which is featureless with only SL70 on it would look like an Hattori or a Chinese movment, also the fact that the plates are rivited to the frame, most likely plastic and there fore not for disassembly and is in fact a throw away movement, But having said all that if it was working before the battery change and has failed since I would check that you have not disturbed anything during the change. On some wartches   i.e. the seiko 732T it requires you to start the movment by shorting the ac point to the +ve terminal on the battery. There is nothing obvious in the pictures. Perhaps a clearer picture of the back plate and dial will render some clue. What name has it on the dial. removing the dial and hands might reveal a makers calibe number. 

• Like 1

Also try pulling out the crown and resetting the hands to say 12 O'clock and pressing the crown home again, just to ensure everything actually turns, in case pushing the battery in has squished something.

Push and hold both buttons in together for 10 seconds and release. If that doesn't work, try the same thing with each button in turn.

Also check the voltage on the new battery with a multimeter as it may have been stored so long that has died of self discharge.

A new cell will be around 1.5V, or a little higher, and a dead one, probably under 1V.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

Agreed generic China movement.as previously mentioned you may need to momentarily touch one point to another to start the watch.with the battery out you will notice a central contact which touches the positive side of the battery.follow the metal,see where it goes.look for a spot that would be exposed when the battery is reinserted. After you put the battery back in.Touch that spot  using a pin or tweezers or anything conductive  to the metal on the back of the movement . Additionally be aware that the watch stem is a switch.it must be pushed in.good luck mom.keep us posted.

Edited by yankeedog
  • Like 1

Thanx everyone, I had tried practically everything mentioned, I didn't take the hands and dial off.
Anyway, the battery tested good, everything looked good and nothing seemed disturbed. So with nothing to lose, I figured it had just jammed or the plastic gears had stuck together when it had all stopped working when the battery was out. I've done this before and if it works it works, I got an old rotary quartz watch in my shed that's been running over 3yrs after doing this as a last resort.
I get the WD40 out! Spray some into the lid then with your finger dab the WD, give your finger a flick, then just touch the movement, on the gears, on anything that looks like it goes into the movement. Leave it an hour, if done right there shouldn't be anything that could be called excess, but give it a wipe and pop the battery back in.

This is the 4th maybe 5th time I've done this, and so far I'm 5 for 5! The watch is working perfectly again!

Well done,    one doesn't advocate putting wd 40 on watches, even quartz ones. Its better to remove battery hands and dial and cltane in Naptha (lighterfuel) or ISO propyl alchohol or even carburetter cleaner thyen when dry touch the pivots with quartz oil then a quick turn on the line release and in with battery usually they start up again. But full marks for getting it going again:Bravo:  Please dont do this on mechanical watches as wd 40 gumms the works up eventually and attracts dirt.

• Like 1

O god I'd never do it to a mechanical watch!
The reason I chose wd was for its penetrating and lubricating properties. I'm no watchmaker by any stretch of the imagination, I can swap a movement over, change a dial and hands, anything more than that and I'm out of my depth! I have a watchmaker I use for servicing and really the like. But if I run into a quartz watch that's given up I'll try what you suggest here.

Thanx everyone ;)

there are penitrating oils available for metal.  after useing that,   wash the parts and add the proper viscosity OIL .  plastic parts - i don't  know,  may be silicon spray?   wd 40 - a waxy, oily spray,  good for ??      vin

• Like 1