Felsa 690 screw fouling

Nost

Thanks for looking... 

On a reassemble of this movement I noticed somthing I'd not noticed on dismantling.

The date set lever screw hole seems to have been butchered at some point. It fouls on the weight as it rotates, I do recall the weight not being able to rotate when I received the movement but assumed this was down to muck and grime and assumed once things were cleaned and oiled there would be an improvement. 

Moving forward I can only think that the main plate will need drilling to ensure the screw can tighten into place correctly as I truly cannot think of any other reason or way to approach this. 

If anyone has ideas, I'm all ears :)

IMG_20190831_112519.jpg

IMG_20190831_112440.jpg

IMG_20190831_113216.jpg

IMG_20190831_112214.jpg

25 minutes ago, aac58 said:

I have never worked on a Felsa, but this screw doesn't look the right one, I think it should have a flat or almost flat head as the one besides it. I hope someone with more experience can help.

thanks for your reply @aac58

According to the technical doc (attached) part 5443 - setting lever screw- is the correct screw...

I can only assume someone has butchered this for some reason but I have no idea why...

2763_Felsa 690.pdf

Serviced a felsa 690 today . That screw is not right for the movement. Someone took what they had. You need to find the right screw or one that sits flush with the movement. BTW mine was also butchered around the hole.  Why can't people use the right size screwdriver. 

Or i see now that you probably did forget to place the screw between the plates. If you do it would not stick up like that . 

Edited by rogart63
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rogart63 said:

Serviced a felsa 690 today . That screw is not right for the movement. Someone took what they had. You need to find the right screw or one that sits flush with the movement. BTW mine was also butchered around the hole.  Why can't people use the right size screwdriver. 

Or i see now that you probably did forget to place the screw between the plates. If you do it would not stick up like that . 

57 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

It should go in the mainplate, bridge over it keeping it captive.

You chaps are blinders, thank you!! Much appreciated! If I had a Christmas card list, you fellas would be on it ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nost said:

You chaps are blinders, thank you!! Much appreciated! If I had a Christmas card list, you fellas would be on it ;)

I am not the picky . A nice vintage Omega  for Christmas is okay . No we are happy we can help . Have done that to . It's always a PIA to put that set lever screw  back when you have forget to put it in . And  you see it when the whole movement is built up and ready to go in the case. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, rogart63 said:

I am not the picky . A nice vintage Omega  for Christmas is okay . No we are happy we can help . Have done that to . It's always a PIA to put that set lever screw  back when you have forget to put it in . And  you see it when the whole movement is built up and ready to go in the case. 

darnit.... I'm all out of vintage Omegas... I've got  a few patek philippes hanging about, you may need to settle for one of those haha.

Yes, the Setting lever likes to 'drift' when attempting to locate the screw to the hole while at the same time screwing with screw head that loves to spit out the driver tip...an absolute delight. Apart from that, it's been a lovely movement to work on. my second movement, and quite enjoyable. waiting on a replacement balance complete, then i'll have a charming vintage piece to wear.

Thanks again for your help :)

• Like 2