Seiko 4006-7012 27 Jewel Bellmatic Hands Dragging

I have a Seiko 4006-7012 27J that I've had in the back of my box for a while. When running and setting the hands drag and the hour hand will stop moving. It happens worse when approaching day/date change. I have never worked on this watch movement before. Is there anything I should look for as I approach a clean and repair? Overall, the watch is in good shape with little wear, but the hand movement is in need of repair. BTW, I have not timed the movement to see how it is running.

Regards.

If hands feel loose when setting and stop before date change then look at the cannon pinion. It need a very delicate squeeze. Others will chime in with links and how to do this correctly I'm sure. Good luck.

Edited by Melt

2 hours ago, Melt said:

If hands feel loose when setting and stop before date change then look at the cannon pinion. It need a very delicate squeeze. Others will chime in with links and how to do this correctly I'm sure. Good luck.

The minute hand and second hand are working properly, so it's probably in the cannon area. I normally do not attempt working on movements of the caliber(complexity) but I've had this one in the back of the box for a while waiting for a time I could get brave enough to give it a go.

The alarm complication itself is straightforward,  alarm set and date day mechs crowd up on top of the train do often misfunction. Close ups of the underdial during  disassembly can make life easier. 

Dial feet easily brake which dosn,t help the functioning of mechs under the dial.

As long as dial feet, day and date rings don,t sustain damage/ bent, you will have no surprise. 

Good luck 

• Like 1