Question

I'm a complete newbie and want to learn how to dismantle and re-build watches, specifically Seiko's. 

Any suggestions on what movement to use as my first independent project to practice on and make loads of mistakes?  Struggling to find recommendations on the different movements to use as a complete beginner and as my skills improve.  Should i stick to only Seiko's or broaden my horizons?

Cheers

Maz

https://www.instagram.com/timeformaz

11 answers to this question

Hi,

I would start with a nice simple manual wind no day-date complication Watch, maybe something like an ST96.

I did four of those and they run very well now, in fact, I can now do those pretty much blindfolded.

Then build up to a day complication and so on.

You can get a Seiko NH35 movement when your ready for about £25 on Ebay which would be great for practice.

Good luck.

Since all watches work in similar ways .I would tell you to get a few Russian movements.  Learn the ins and outs on something you don't mind breaking. I am in no way trying to diminish them but non working ones can be bought all day long for about one dollar a piece.

Start with an old pocket watch many are very much alike to a watch movement just bigger. Learn what the parts are called, strip it right down and put it all back together, do this many times so you can do it in your sleep. This will help you in using you eyeglass, tweezers and watchmakers screwdrivers. Don’t get hold of any fusee pocket watch movements they are completely different. When you have achieved all with your pocket watch move to a simple Gents watch, just the movement, no calendar and certainly not an automatic.  

Seiko 70xx series is a very nice watch to start with IMHO, because they do not have tiny springs that use to ping to the orbit to never been found again, and they are very very simple. Also there are many relatively cheap watches on sale, so you can buy some to repair and some donors if needed. Many of these movement parts are common to all the series, including the balance motion wheels, balance and pallet.

I would recomend the 7005 or 7025 movements, they are automatic and have date calendar, but they are really simple and there are a lot of information on the web, including the official technical guide and videos of how to disassembly and assembly them.

I started out with Vostok calibre 2409 w/o complications. You can get them on eBay for next to nothing. Get "a bag of them" and you'll have plenty of spare parts and will practice a lot of disassembling in the process. If you do start out with this movement you will likely find my "Vostok 2409 Service Walkthrough" useful. The Vostok movements are IMO the best bang for the buck! BTW, just heard from Mark on YT that he's about to review some Vostok Amphibians, and I can't wait for it! The modern-day Amphibians house the Vostok calibres 2415 and 2416 but they are identical to the 2409 but add automatic winding.

y4m8cB9OqnLZMfGun1pFbVZRZLUFBS2Qa7FuYija

Anyway, a great and affordable way to learn about watch repair is to enrol on watchrepairlessons.com. The course movement is a pocket watch movement, Unitas calibre 6498 (base movement in many Panerais). The fact that all parts are about 25 % larger than in wristwatch movements makes it easier to handle when you're new. However, a good option for the course is the Unitas calibre 6325, and incidentally, I just recently serviced one of those!

14 hours ago, Mazboy said:

I'm a complete newbie and want to learn how to dismantle and re-build watches, specifically Seiko's. 

If you like Seiko then that's what you should learn and do. Myself and many others did that without too many problems. Gradual, slow practice is common sense but it's not mandatory if the person has regular dexterity. If you want that and the associated benefit then consinder enrolling in the course by our Host Mark Lovick. 

27 minutes ago, yankeedog said:

See what happens when you ask an opinion. all are valid. the choice is yours.

I know, seems i've definitely come to the right place, thank you everyone :-)

18 hours ago, TheFixer said:

Hi,

I would start with a nice simple manual wind no day-date complication Watch, maybe something like an ST96.

I did four of those and they run very well now, in fact, I can now do those pretty much blindfolded.

Then build up to a day complication and so on.

You can get a Seiko NH35 movement when your ready for about £25 on Ebay which would be great for practice.

Good luck.

Thanks @TheFixer.

9 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Start with an old pocket watch many are very much alike to a watch movement just bigger. Learn what the parts are called, strip it right down and put it all back together, do this many times so you can do it in your sleep. This will help you in using you eyeglass, tweezers and watchmakers screwdrivers. Don’t get hold of any fusee pocket watch movements they are completely different. When you have achieved all with your pocket watch move to a simple Gents watch, just the movement, no calendar and certainly not an automatic.  

Thanks @oldhippy, this is exactly what i did at a taster clock making class - we striped and re-built a Russian Sekonda pocket watch.  Plan to practice this a lot more.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By CaptCalvin
      Today I show off what is probably the most accurate Seiko NH35 in existence.
      Let's see what this brand spankin' new Invicta does on the timegrapher:

Oof. Ya hate ta see it. I know these numbers aren't anything to cry over for an 80 dollar automatic, but considering how these days microbrands stick this movement in watches costing hundreds more, and Seiko themselves with the equivalent 4R in watches costing even more, it's just not great. The rate itself to me is a trivial matter as nudging on the regulator is a trivial task. But what speaks to the quality of a movement in my eyes is the consistency of that rate in different positions. With 12 seconds per day difference across positions, middling amplitude, and fluctuating rate while static, albeit slight, is all just a bit "meh" to me. 
      Let's crack it open and see what we can do.
      Hairspring seems to be pulling towards stud.

Hairspring removed from balance and mounted on cock and we can see the full extent of the malformity. That collet is a good ways off from the jewel.
      Few hours of sweat later:

Much better! Regulator now runs the full length of the terminal curve without disturbance and collet is centered on jewel.
      Let's check out what else I saw:

Some places are absolutely flooded.

While others just barely got any. A good thing I intervened. This thing needed to be redone top to bottom.

Stripped apart, ready to get rid of the crappy factory lube job, and get a real, proper lube job.
      All put together, lubed, and few rounds of dynamic poising later:

Massive boost in amplitude,  runs on rails and a measly 1 second difference across all positions. Wasn't lying when I said "probably the most accurate Seiko NH35 in existence." See for yourself.
      Isn't it at the moment a bit of a waste that this souped up NH35 is being trapped inside its Invicta skin? What do you think? 
    • By Krishan
      Hi, so I recently got a seiko 5 snk809 and it was working fine, I then decided to regulate it as it was losing about 1 minute a day. After I regulated it it was working fine then stopped so I shook it to wind it up and then it started working. After 5 minutes it stopped again so I wound it up and it would work but then stop after a couple of minutes. I checked to see if the watch was being winded and it was, so the watch had power but just wouldn't move, I dont know why this is, the watch has power but will only run for a minute or two when I shake it, this hasn't happened before to this watch, so if anyone could help that would be great.
      Thanks
    • By Amateurwatchbreaker
      I have a seiko 7548-700f that I bought at a flea market for 15 dollars. Very beat up. Heavy scratches on the back near the lugs. Looks like the previous owner didn't know how to take a case back off properly. Last year during a battery change the screwdriver slipped and i hit the coil block. I managed to replace it without trouble. Starting a couple of months ago it started losing time. LOTS of time. I would take it off overnight and in the morning it would be 5 hours behind the correct time. Happens no matter what position the watch is in. I suspect that this is because the hole for the center wheel is not circular anymore. I know this means I need a service but I can not afford one. I am in highschool with no job. I have posted similar threads to this on several different sites, but no one is helpful. They tell me to get a job or to just pay to service it. What should I do? Should I learn to service it myself or is it even worth it?
    • By Mazboy
      I'm about to start working on a Seiko 6602 and would like to be able to put it on the timegrapher before and after and see how well it works but i'm struggling to identify the correct lift angle for it.  It seems to be missing from all the general lift angle lists I've come across.  I've read in other posts that most Seiko's are either 52 / 54.5 but which is it for this movement, can anyone help please?
    • By JayK
      Hello All.
      I'm a fellow watch enthusiast from the North-East of England. I hope everyone is keeping well.
      I recently bought myself a cheap watch repair kit, dusted off the old watch storage box and started to giving my watches the attention they required, it's been going quite well so far but do need some guidance with the correct steps of putting the workings and the case back on for my Accurist GMT Grand Complication, hopefully I will do a separate post on this with pics.
      Anyway hope everyone is having a decent Friday night.