Newbie from Scotland United Kingdom

31 minutes ago, SoldierJohn said:

I totally get the quality tools thing as I come from an engineering background where good tools last a lifetime.  

Great proposition and still practicable for a 20 pounds tweezers or 50 for a screwdrivers mini-set, then things change when you face that a Swiss timegrapher starts at 2,500 but a Chinese one 200 or less, the relation gets a bit better like  4 to 1 in case of bench case opener, crystal press and die set, pressure tester, etc.

You will find and evaluate by yourself in the due time, plenty of full discussion threads, check the pinned and starred threads in the tools section. 

Edited by jdm
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2019 at 11:38 AM, watchweasol said:

Welcome John to the forum  I am in Scotland too, St Combs Fraserburgh, The guys on here are knowledgeable and helpful so enjoy the hobby.

On 8/25/2019 at 11:38 AM, watchweasol said:

Welcome John to the forum  I am in Scotland too, St Combs Fraserburgh, The guys on here are knowledgeable and helpful so enjoy the hobby.

Hi Watchweasel, thanks for welcome, very new to this but Im retired now and have some time on my hands (see what I did there). 

Best wishes

John

John,

I take it you are a Soldier.Although you may be officially retired,It is something you always are.I wore the camouflage of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children for six years.I found that although that uniform hides you in the forest,In the civilian world it makes you stick out like a sore thumb.would you care to comment?

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, yankeedog said:

John,

I take it you are a Soldier.Although you may be officially retired,It is something you always are.I wore the camouflage of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children for six years.I found that although that uniform hides you in the forest,In the civilian world it makes you stick out like a sore thumb.would you care to comment?

Hello Yankeedog,

I spent fourteen years in the British Army followed by the rest of my carer in the thin blue line.  Soldiering for me was the pinnacle of my life.  Seven tours in Northern Ireland and then the first Gulf War.  Once a soldier ............etc. Took me many years to align myself to civilian standards without getting upset at how low they were. Great to meet you my American cousin.

John