Using a crystal press

AP1875

I picked up a Robur press on ebay it came with the T31 die set. It was a fairly decent price. So I thought I'd give it a go considering the $10 one I've been using from ebay doesn't press straight. 

I just want to check what I'm using it for and how I'm using it is correct. 

The watch I want to fit a new crystal to has the following construction - crystal held in place with a plastic ring, the crystal is the fixed by pushing the steel bezel over it. 

So

I put a metal die on the bottom of the press that the caseback will sit in and cover with a cloth to prevent damage. 

On the top I select a die that just fits around the crystal and rests on the bezel? 

The best fit die still has a little bit of room on both the bottom and top. 

Lay the case on a suitable flat bed die depends on the size of the case. Pick one of the cupped dies so it just fits over the glass, that goes into the top. Screw down watching that the cup is even all round, you  quite often hear a sound as the glass is pushed home. Remove case  and check to see that the glass is even around in side the case.   

The Robur press is one of the best for fitting tension ring glasses. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Lay the case on a suitable flat bed die depends on the size of the case. Pick one of the cupped dies so it just fits over the glass, that goes into the top. Screw down watching that the cup is even all round, you  quite often hear a sound as the glass is pushed home. Remove case  and check to see that the glass is even around in side the case.   

The Robur press is one of the best for fitting tension ring glasses. 

ahh ok i will use the flat die. I guess the only difference between the watch i'm swapping the glass on is you have to press down on the bezel and not the glass. The glass is already in position, the bezel holds it there.

What are these black dies for? They look like they could snap very easily.

3 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

What are these black dies for? They look like they could snap very easily. A photo would help.:D

Sorry forgot to send the link.

This is the set i have. I got the press and dies for less than the cost of the dies alone, way out of my budget otherwise.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/die-set-robur

Would you use this press for a ceramic bezel?

Edited by AP1875

The blacks are to be used for the bass when you fit low dome glasses.  When you put the glass in the top die it causes the glass to bend and become a little smaller, it’s the shape of them that also helps when pressure is applied. That one flat bed die, you will find you will use that a lot when fitting tension ring glasses   

Would you use this press for a ceramic bezel? If you have a die that will go over and press it right down on the case then yes. Fitting those things you need ever pressure and this tool will do the trick. 

26 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

The blacks are to be used for the bass when you fit low dome glasses.  When you put the glass in the top die it causes the glass to bend and become a little smaller, it’s the shape of them that also helps when pressure is applied. That one flat bed die, you will find you will use that a lot when fitting tension ring glasses   

Would you use this press for a ceramic bezel? If you have a die that will go over and press it right down on the case then yes. Fitting those things you need ever pressure and this tool will do the trick. 

Thank you for sharing your wisdom. I just tried it on a ceramic and it was so much easier than my last press.

Does your Robur have a slight bit of play in the shaft or is it completely solid? I can wiggle this one ever so slightly but apparently it has had new shaft fitted.

I bought a well used (destructively)  case closer at a watch mart.   all the black dyes were broken or glued.   it had the cardboard box and all the instructions.  "the price was right".   I made aluminum cups for each watch to be closed.  vin