Vintage Buler Divers watch crystal issue

Hello there fellow watch enthusiasts.

i have an issue here. The watch is running perfectly without the acrylic crystal on but whenever I press the crystal in place, the movement immediately stops.

i believe this is and issue derived from the pressure forcing the movement down and causing it to stop.

i don’t think it’s a case of the hands hitting the glass.

i have proved this by removing the hands.

i have been through two high dome crystals now and they don’t work.

does anyone have any advise? 

0984EB68-FD9C-4A6D-A453-C7A770BE2342.jpeg

The crystal must never touch dial or mov't at all. It should sit on a lip in the case. And this being a diver should have a tension ring or other waterproofing device. Check that carefully.

Edited by jdm

13 minutes ago, jdm said:

The crystal must never touch dial or mov't at all. It should sit on a lip in the case. And this being a diver ishould have a tension right or other waterproofing device. Check that carefully.

Never heard of a "tension right". Did you really mean a "tension ring", or am I missing something?

1 minute ago, VWatchie said:

Never heard of a "tension right". Did you really mean a "tension ring", or am I missing something?

Please excuse my spelling error, luckily  I was able to go back and correct it.

• Like 1

Just now, RyanGreerMcGilloway said:

The original is a broken peice, but it has no tension ring.

It is just Acrylic throughout with a lip on the edge.

That's the important detail, you may need to get a slightly larger crystal and cut it on the lathe (I don't think that can be done without) to re-create the lip, which sits on the top of the case. It may need cement to stay firm and partially waterproof.

2 minutes ago, jdm said:

Please excuse my spelling error, luckily  I was able to go back and correct it.

Good thing we now have a full hour to correct our little mistakes! Whish we'd have a full day (or more) though! Imagine putting a watch together and only having an hour to correct any mistakes we'd made! :(

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, yankeedog said:

higher dome. check esslinger . they sell an extra high dome crystal.

I think the OP needs an inside stepped crystal., not extra high. He should post complete measure and a sketch of the profile

I wonder? Are you pressing in the crystal without taking the movement out? If so i would take the movement out before i do that . And then check if there is anything on the otherside that hits the balance or pressing on the dial . I think it would work with a "normal" ATC crystal. A low dome acrylic with tension ring. Very seldom i use a high dome crystal . At least on divers like this. 

1 hour ago, rogart63 said:

I wonder? Are you pressing in the crystal without taking the movement out? If so i would take the movement out before i do that . And then check if there is anything on the otherside that hits the balance or pressing on the dial . I think it would work with a "normal" ATC crystal. A low dome acrylic with tension ring. Very seldom i use a high dome crystal . At least on divers like this. 

You think maybe , he is pressing on the dial face , and compressing then movement?