• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Ha, wow from the click I was 99.999% sure it was Unitas, but it's Pierce. Looks like a caliber 160/22, 16 ligne.
    • The only markings on the movement are the words Swiss Made, 15 Jewels and a small 5 under the balance arm. I don't currently have a very accurate caliper but I think it is 34.7mm rather than 36.4 as the Unitas 6497 movement wouldn't fit. Here is a picture of the dial side but I haven't seen any writing on it. I do not believe that the movement has ever been changed since it was made in around the 1930s.  
    • I have a nice little carriage clock in for service, very good shape, except for over 0.30mm sideshake of the barrel arbor in the barrel. Thought I would show how I bush these; it seems they often get overlooked or just skipped as they are a little more fussy than just bushing a plate. I measure everything up, then remove the boss in the barrel, and make a bushing that fits from the inside and is stepped, replacing the boss. This way it's captive, and doesn't require a big interference fit to get seated and stay. I turn up the bushing with a boring tool in the lathe, doing the outside as well (running in reverse of course), then do the barrel opening with the same tool. It's a pretty quick process once you have the moves down!    
    • Well the movement is Unitas, but they did make many many different calibers. What is the exact diameter of the movement, and can you get a pic of the dial side? Are there no markings near the balance cock or on the dial side? If not it will take some digging but you will probably find it on Ranfft's site.
    • I must admit I have never even clapped eyes on one like that, but my gut feeling is that you back off the key in the opposite direction to winding, and it will unscrew, then undo the knurled bolt, and pull on it, and *something* should slide out of something else. The chances that I am completely wrong however are around 50% EDIT: Wow.. Barographs are expensive when new.. https://www.metcheck.co.uk/collections/barographs . I'll need to keep an eye out for one, they look pretty interesting, similar to  clockwork seismograph recorders .