Hi from TN

bytes2doc

Nice to be a part of the group. I lurked around awhile go. Just finished level 2 of Mark’s course.

I’ve been a member of the NAWCC for many years, and taken their onsite pocket watch repair course, and repaired many since. I also restore old clocks, both the case and movement. Picture attached is of a recent restore. This clock is an 1894 Ansonia that was ready for the trash pile. 

I am also in the midst of building a skeleton clock from brass stock. I use a Sherline lathe and mill to turn the wheels and cut the teeth. It has been many years in the making, but has taken its first ticks this year.

looking forward to more learning and more work on watches. Mark has a great and easy style for learning.  I’m almost finished servicing my first automatic watch I ever bought, a Tissot embedded with an ETA 2824-2. The mainspring just arrived.

A2A3355A-5DBD-4AB2-94F7-03472B7F77F9.jpeg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Hello from the Mid-Atlantic United States. I've been in the hobby for a few months and have concluded that I will be staying in it for a while. I've started to get some proper tools and I am looking forward to developing some skills. My current goal is to get comfortable enough to service / repair some watches I've inherited from family members.  My current project is a Mentor pendent watch with a BF866 movement that belonged to my great aunt.
    • Success! The watch is working, albeit not perfectly. I need to install a new mainspring. It only runs about 16 hours. Still, it's my first cleaning and rebuild. I bought it from the original owner's son on eBay! The other one was bought at a flea market. I needed both to complete the project. The model with a seconds hand had soldered watch band pins and I couldn't drill tiny holes so I used the flea market Waldan, which was nearly a perfect match. I also replated the case with nickel, but the result was subpar. It's never as easy as it looks.
    • Thanks guys. It's a Seawolf 10ATM pre spring bezel. The case knife stressed me a bit, but eventually got it off and cleaned - nearly seventy years of grime.  Thanks.  Cheers John
    • Exactly. This is a pic of the hairspring I'm working on. My horizontal v vertical rates are all over the place. There is no discernible terminal curve. My problem is that the outer coil is (possibly) hitting the regulator pin. It's hard to tell but it looks to be getting very close. Also getting close to the stud, which could be @VWatchie's problem. You can see that I need to adjust the inner coil to centre the collet. That will hopefully solve the problem. But then I'll take the spring off and attach it to the cock to see how it looks.   I don't know if it's causing your problem @VWatchie, but I would say your inner coil looks like this  
    • Welcome to the forum.