balance dismantling

gary17

Hi

just a quick question.

Do people dismantle the balance cock and clean each piece separately?

Or just clean the balance as 1 piece?

And to do a service properly which method are you supposed to do?

I'm new to this and i have been having a go at dismantling them and cleaning them.

Out of 6 attempts i have managed to strip clean and rebuild 1. I know practice makes perfect but its 1 hell of a fiddling job.

I have read books and seen videos were most seem to just clean the balance cock as 1. But i've seen 1 or 2 videos which say to do a proper service you must strip it.

cheers

gary

Also does any one  know if its possible to get a winding stem for a longines 23zs movement cousins and ebay drew a blank. Or is it a donor watch job?

Sorry about all the questions.

Its just a to good an opportunity to learn from people who have more knowledge on the subject which they are willing to share.

Edited by gary17

I think it is difficult to get the chaton and end stone clean without dismantling them.  I take mine down and peg the chaton and clean the end stone.  As I don't have the expensive Bergeon oiler, I oil the end stone before I replace it on the setting.  Good Luck,  it is fiddly, but necessary.

RMD

46 minutes ago, rduckwor said:

I take mine down and peg the chaton and clean the end stone.

Nitpick: the chaton, or "jewel setting" is the metal part around the "holed jewel". You may "peg"  the latter, not the first.

• Haha 1