Seiko SQ quartz watch not working

Hi to all members, I am somewhat of a newbie to watch repairs ( battery replacement stage ). My question is I bought a Seiko sq quartz watch from a charity shop and when I opened the back I noticed the old battery had corroded, so I gently brushed the area with a soft toothbrush, proceeded to change the battery but still not working. Any advice welcome. Rob

A+ Gallery_2.jpg

You can try taking apart circuit and coil looking for damage under the loupe but even if you can spot some then you may have trouble getting the parts. The coil can also be tested with a very low voltage tester that I don't think you have. So it may be more expeditious to look for a replacement mov't, its code is the first four digits of the model number on the back.

3 hours ago, jdm said:

You can try taking apart circuit and coil looking for damage under the loupe but even if you can spot some then you may have trouble getting the parts. The coil can also be tested with a very low voltage tester that I don't think you have. So it may be more expeditious to look for a replacement mov't, its code is the first four digits of the model number on the back.

Thank you jdm .. the  movement is a Seiko 7546. Not many on Ebay. 

The circuit on this are almost bullet proof . Remove the screws and take the circuit out . Clean the underside and all the contact areas.  

Check the coil.  They are usually the problem when not running. Maybe that  some parts from the corrosion has come in to the  wheels . Then you need to take apart and clan the to. 

It's a pretty good movement that could run for years. Only need to change the battery every once in a while. Usually once a year. 

• Like 1

I've returned several of these to life - one after extensive battery leak damage. The circuit can be cleaned and is very robust. The coil is another matter. It's very easy to damage and can't really be fixed. Even the toothbrush work you did may have damaged it if you went over the top of the coil.
That said, my first go at servicing a watch was with one of these. There's a technical manual online and a few teardown guides on various forums - look for 7548 teardowns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk