Reading timegrapher

Hello. 

I am working on a vtg. Citizen cal.7520 automatic movement.

I have put the watch on the timegrapher 

The graph looks OK but the beat error shows 9.9ms. I presumed that beat error should be around 1.0~2.0 given the shape of the graph.

Is the beat error actually bad or the timegrapher is wrong??

Thank you!20190820_215938.thumb.jpg.43d0bb2e8db96edfab37053a72be6b42.jpg

20190820_215338.jpg

What happens is that drawing of the exit line carry over so it may viisually overlap. The reading of more than 9.9ms is correct. Already years ago I had opened a topic with the same issue, you can find it with the search function. 

Different issue, but the subject line seems to fit.

I'd guess the discontinuities come every turn of the escape wheel.  It happens in the 12 down position but not 12 up or horizontal. In those positions there's just a little burp.  Loose jewel?

DSC_0405.JPG

DSC_0404.JPG

• Similar Content

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Hello forum, i have some things i would like to say today if thats ok. Being here is something of a sanctuary for me, talking about something that i love doing with folk that i have become fond of ( yes quite surprisingly under all that craziness and verbal brawn lays a soft heart of gold 🙂 ). I imagine that the same can be said by many of you , a certain number of us are here daily both learning and offering any advice that we are able to. Quoting our experiences both successful and failures for others to learn from. For me at the moment just making this post is a distraction from my current bubble but also from the world around me for various reasons.  Its a place not just for teaching and learning but to make others laugh and smile and be part of a community. I would even go so far as to say we are a team, supporting and encouraging each other when needed and when we are down, my own situation with my mum being a perfect example of everyone's kindness. Thats the soppy bit out of the way 🙂. So my mum has been moved to a brand new facility after making amazing progress with her speech and word recognition in hospital ( poor mum has had to suffer my company and my teaching to the full extent of her visiting hours barring one day off for me that my sister insisted upon ) her consultant calls my mum his medical miracle 🙂, and will be starting her intensive speech rehab today after her initial assessment. Things I've learned about having a stroke, and I'd really like everyone to take note of the causes and outcomes of having one. Please do your own research I am a joiner and not a doctor 🙂, i just want to make everyone aware and just get checked out if you notice anything in yourself that you are unsure about, any risk of having one can be reduced with either medical intervention or/and a change of lifestyle ( which would be my own preference in an attempt to limit my risk, something i have now noticed in myself ). I do know a few of you here have experience but this is what i have become aware of and how it has affected my mum and me. First i want to touch on the effects of a stroke, not only to the sufferer but to the whole family, we all know how dementia affects lives. A stroke effecting language is almost instant non aggressive dementia. Like being in a foreign country where you can no longer read, write or speak to someone without some form of very basic sign language gesturing ( when annoyed i think everyone understands the middle finger ). But a stroke can affect movement ( fortunately my mum is virtually unaffected with her mobility, the nurses can't believe she is 87 and just had a stroke, she's like bloody Supergran, in fact she is a great great grandmother to 2 toddlers ) . Improvement after a stroke carries on for years afterwards, but from what i understand and now believe after being with my mum almost every day since it happened for 7 hours a day, language rehab should be started as soon as possible when the patient is out of danger and physically able. The brain is ready and set to go and rewire itself soon after injury, in a similar ready state to young children ( when we say kids brains absorb information like a sponge, thats pretty much true in early stroke patients) After the first few weeks maybe a couple of months things start to slow down and lesser progression carries on for the years following . After a day she could manage only one word, which was my cue to get on her back and start pushing her progress. Day two i wanted to see how capable she was so i had her writing on a whiteboard ( it wasn't great tbh ) . Day 3 and until she left the hospital most time with her was spent on picture/word recognition on my laptop, picture books, some writing and teaching her to play cards again ( i refrained from gambling for real money, though i was tempted, as I'm  pretty good at poker , she has a few bob and i have space for another watchmakers lathe in my watchroom 🙂 ) Now i suppose i have to back off as the rehab place is fairly intense focused and visiting times are crap as they interfere with all the physio and rehab going on . So i only have 2 hours max a day with her sometimes only 1 if her grandkids want to visit, but she is in good hands and i know she will get as much help as she needs , and as difficult as it is to admit i probably need a bit of a break and distract myself. I'll end this post for now but i want to come back and talk about what caused this and hopefully remind some of you to think about how we live , what to do in the event of a stroke and how we can lower our risk. I'm not a pussy by any means and very little frightens me, but seeing this first hand has put the fear of god into me if i ever had to suffer the outcome of a stroke. My mum is a tough old cookie and i imagine i will be just as tough, but watching the frustration on her face when trying to communicate completely tore my heart into pieces.  Please dont let this happen to you, do everything you can to avoid it, I'll come back soon to talk more about as long as everyone is ok with it, take care for now x
    • The fact that you have witnessed coils of the hairspring clinging or sticking together explains why the watch is running so fast.  If you reduce the length of a hairspring, the watch will run faster. When hairspring coils stick or cling together, this effectively reduces the active length of the hairspring, so the watch runs fast.  As nevenbekriev has said, the most likely culprit here is oil or other contamination on the hairspring causing coils to stick together. Cleaning the hairspring as he describes will solve the problem. Occasionally the contamination causing the hairspring coils to stick can be very stubborn to remove, in which case I suggest ultrasonic cleaning in acetone, naphtha or a commercial watch cleaning solution. Magnetism can also cause coils of the hairspring to stick together, if the hairspring is made of an alloy that can be magnetised. Finally, your watch has what is called a pin pallet escapement. They are considered to be less refined, but quite rugged compared to a traditional Swiss lever escapement. They are quite forgiving. They do require lubrication, if you haven’t done so already, find instructions for lubrication of these escapements to get optimal performance from this watch. Hope this helps, Mark
    • Murks, In theory, yes. For example I have a Seiko dress watch (dress style case) with a 6309 movement in it which I would not take diving, similarly, I have a Seiko divers watch with the same movement in it (6309) which is a diving watch. The only difference is the case (and crown sealing system), the diving watch case is made for diving due to it's more robust seal system on the case and its a more rugged design. Seiko 6309 divers watch: Seiko 6309 dress watch:
    • I mean let's say a was to make a dives watch is this mean as long the case is a dives case and a fits the movement it should be ok and is this means any movement longs it fit the dives case?
    • Whether my post is pinned there or not, I agree the “Lubrication Techniques, Oils, Greases, Epilame Treatments” forum should have a pinned post explaining why automatic oilers aren’t good for beginners, and better suited to production and service environments where many of the same calibre are lubricated regularly.  There are so many other tools a beginner should buy before automatic oilers, and it’s so important to learn to oil properly by hand. So many beginners and hobbyists have no idea how to apply the right amount of oil to each pivot, and just put some oil (usually too much) in every designated location and call it good. Not through carelessness, but through not knowing any better.   Mark