Jump to content
Nucejoe

Pallet moved in fork slot indications?

Recommended Posts

There's no way really other than checking the escapement functions. Some forks have a significant gap at the back where the jewel sits, some none, generally somewhere in between. As even a move of 0.01mm will have a real impact on performance there's no shortcut.

Luckily it seems few forks get 'adjusted' willy nilly as it requires heating up, on the other hand I think every American watch with eccentric bankings I've seen has had the bankings put in the weirdest positions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@oldhippy! So am I correct thinking that, at one extreme the fork flutters( observable when balance removed, provding power ), at other extreme we get escapement locked up, ie; as we nudge the fork, it jumps to left/ right but will not let a teeth escape. 

Therefore, the correct pallet position is somewhere in between the two extremes.

@nickelsilver  am I correct thinking that, at one extreme, improper pallet position can produce unhealthy large ampliude.

Both gentleman thanks for advices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have an advanced Witchi timer you can also look at the noises the escapement makes with a resolution of 20 ms. It will give you in that view also the amplitude for both sides of the balance wheel movemnts. If they differ more than 10 - 15 degrees  you also have an indication for an issue with the depth of the palletstones. If you see a lot of jitter on the trace mode, also an indication of an issue with the pallet fork/stones. 

 

Most simple, take your microscope at 20 - 40 magnification and look at the interaction of the palletstones with the teeth of your escape wheel. Quite often it is very clearly visible if the depthing has shifted of the stones.

 

br

 

Ron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • This is an fusee English lever pocket watch. The customer said that it was only running for a few minutes and then stopping. On first inspection the amplitude was almost non existent but strangely was running. I presumed a good service would resolve this issue BUT alas the same issue. I stripped again and inspected every part with a microscope and found a bent safety pin + the banking pins had been bent. Apart from this I could not find anything. The balance pivots show some scoring but just a tiny touch it swings fine. Believe it or not, the amplitude now (see vid) is twice as much as what it was. My suspicion is the pallet is not the original and the horns are just a touch short so the impulse pin is not swinging the hairspring on impulse. Just wondering if anyone has come across this error,I'm a bit lost at present.   IMG_5211 (1).m4v    
    • Next step was to broach the pivot hole out to fit the pivot on the wheel. This was another "first" for me, so I read up, took my time and went for it. Cutting slowly from both sides, bit by bit and constantly try-fitting the wheel to check for fit and to make sure the hole was true. Also, refitting both plates with the wheel fitted to ensure there was no binding points. Finally, using the smoothing broach to harden the pivot hole, bearing surface.
    • The bush was fitted from the inside, again as required, without issue. I have an engineers flat surface which I used to get a true fit. Also, I had an appropriate sized flat headed stake in my staking set, so fitting the bush was a straightforward job. Apologies for the photo from the outside of the plate, as the focus point was off.
    • Next step, was to take the hole out to the wanted size of 4.47mm. Although I had damaged the smaller cutter in the process of the initial step, the broach had worked correctly as I learned how to use it and the hole looked great for this next step. I was cutting from the back of the plate, as required,  and using the new broach worked as I now expected it would. This photo shows the resulting hole once done, with hole now ready to accept the new bush.
    • OK - So the job got done! I know old hippy was interested in the end result, so in the interests of "full disclosure", here it is... The photo of the worn bush appeared in an earlier post, so I won't repeat it, but needless to re-iterate, is was badly worn. This is my first attempt at re-bushing, so will expect to have some "opportunities for learning the hard way". Ready to cut... I had filed a little on the opposite side of the wear t make an oval, trying to centre on the original pivot centre. I needed to fit a 4.5 mm bush with a 2.00 mm pivot hole. I bought a 4.47mm broach and a 3.97mm. The reason for the smaller cutter was that I was not sure if I could (or should) go straight to the correct size in one step. The photo shows the smaller 3.97mm cutter ready for the first cut. First learning issue: I had a lot of issues with the broach binding in one point on the hole, causing the broach to seem to want to cut offset from where I wanted it to go. I started wondering If I should have started broaching with an even smaller size first. Maybe someone could advise... In the end, I managed to get the cut straight (I was hoping anyway) but in the process managed to damage one side of the cutting edge, near the tip of the broach, where it caught on the side of hole and started to dig in.  Almost certainly knackered a £14 broach, but there you go, everyday is a learning day!
×
×
  • Create New...