Timex #24 too-soft brass V-Conic screw

I'm just finishing up a vintage Mickey Mouse watch with a Timex #24 movement. I performed cleaning per the Timex 24 service manual, which includes removing the balance and hairspring assembly. For future reference I need help in dealing with the too-soft brass V-Conic screw.

I am not in the habit of rounding out screw slots, yet after carefully shaping my screwdriver tip and working as slowly and carefully as I could, I managed to mangle the balance screw slot anyway as the force required to turn the screw was apparently greater than the integrity of the brass Timex used for this part in this movement.

I've seen photos of a #25 movement which also employs the V-Conic assembly, but did not appear to have the same soft brass balance screw. If anyone here has experience with this and can offer advice, please comment. Thanks!

DSCF1092.JPG

57 minutes ago, monastic said:

What's worse is there's still too much endshake in the balance and I can't tighten this screw anymore. It runs, but it's wobbly.

Balance wobble thoughts:

1. Balance staff pivot may be broken.

2. Jewels are reamed out.

3. Balance pivot jewels not seated properly.

4. Balance pivot jewels cap springs could be upside own or bent.

5. Balance cock not seated properly.

thats all I can think of.

Hi ITProDad - Thanks for the input, all good advice for most movements. What I'm working with is a different kind of balance assembly. I'm attaching some diagrams from the Timex service sheets.

Had no trouble with the hairspring, which should be the touchiest part. It's the balance screw - it's made of butter-soft brass, and it's a tight fit. Trying to avoid carving out the slot without putting too much downward pressure on the screw - which can damage the cone tips of the balance staff - has proven to be beyond my current level of expertise. 

All I know to do now is close it up and move on. Maybe look for a donor in my "morgue". But I need to know how to approach this from the start the next time I run into one of these.

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 8.24.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 8.25.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 8.25.41 PM.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Setting lever screw broke on Timex 24 movement. I have another working 24 but in need to install the setting lever which seems somewhat impossible. Is there an easy way to get the lever and screw inserted into the hole?