Barrel broken tooth

6 minutes ago, jdm said:

No, it will not run well.
Seiko barrels, as often mentioned are not meant to be opened.
If you have trouble finding a replacement PM your  address and I'll send an used one.

Oh crap...

just checked Ebay and Cousins. No replacement..... :(

It is really nice of you to ship me one.

2 minutes ago, Giumollo said:

Part number 0201 083 Barrel Complete. So much I found out but nowhere to buy it.

The thing is, a barrel complete (e.g. 201.420) retail is £17.55, compare to £31.95 for the complete mov't. (prices excluding VAT).
It just doesn't make sense to stock, or even buy, the spare part.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

If you broke a barrel tooth it was probably wound up, and there are likely other damaged wheels/pinions- have a good look at them.

I think, as mentioned, the OP broke it while trying to open the barrel to "service" the MS - that's never needed on modern Seiko, but something that beginners like to do anyway.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jdm said:

I think, as mentioned, the OP broke it while trying to open the barrel to "service" the MS - that's never needed on modern Seiko, but something that beginners like to do anyway.

If I only knew.... :)

1 minute ago, jdm said:

This forum, -and the entire Internet- is here for you to read, search and ask before acting.

You're right. Saw Mark's video with the Seiko 5 and he did open the barrel. I just thought it was the natural thing to do. Be sure won't happen again. 

Thanks again

Giuseppe

1 minute ago, Giumollo said:

You're right. Saw Mark's video with the Seiko 5 and he did open the barrel. I just thought it was the natural thing to do. Be sure won't happen again.

He's not the only one. Nicholas Hacko, a self-called master Watchmaker teaches the same in his incomplete 7S26 tutorial. If one has no better choice it can done, but very carefully.

2 hours ago, Giumollo said:

Part number 0201 083 Barrel Complete. So much I found out but nowhere to buy it.

Cousinsuk has it . Often the 0 isn't used when seaching seiko parts . i looked at 7S26 movement . That uses the same barrel. And you are not alone. Did the same on my first 7005 Seiko . Have the same construction. Have barrels if you need. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, rogart63 said:

Cousinsuk has it . Often the 0 isn't used when seaching seiko parts . i looked at 7S26 movement . That uses the same barrel. And you are not alone. Did the same on my first 7005 Seiko . Have the same construction. Have barrels if you need. 

Perfect!!!

I was searching under NH35A. They indeed have it. £16.90.

I will order then. 

Thanks a lot!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rogart63 said:

i looked at 7S26 movement . That uses the same barrel. And you are not alone. Did the same on my first 7005 Seiko . Have the same construction. Have barrels if you need. 

Barrel and center wheel are different across A, B and C versions, details on my sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRN2UULQKTfKmhRStZhDdIOIQrqd6sPB-g6x2SKyQQjOvTBjG_7TQXQhAT4f1WqAX5QAPkIimi-3jqd/pubhtml

I think only the C version is interchangeable with the NH3x. I am ready to send one to Giuseppe, but if he wants to buy from Cousins I suggest that for 15 pounds more he gets a complete new mov't, and use the current one for practice, resell or even build a custom watch.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jdm said:

Barrel and center wheel are different across A, B and C versions, details on my sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRN2UULQKTfKmhRStZhDdIOIQrqd6sPB-g6x2SKyQQjOvTBjG_7TQXQhAT4f1WqAX5QAPkIimi-3jqd/pubhtml

I think only the C version is interchangeable with the NH3x. I am ready to send one to Giuseppe, but if he wants to buy from Cousins I suggest that for 15 pounds more he gets a complete new mov't, and use the current one for practice or resell.

Think your option is a better choice. I only search 7S26  and found that it had the same number. But as you say the C is the movement that is closest to the NH35 . 

Edited by rogart63