Pocket Watch Identification

Hi Everyone,

New to this. Have a pocket watch as seen in the pictures. I've stripped it down so far. I have done a bit of quick learning by researching it. I believe it is turn of the century. All parts are serial numbered the same 12796. It's not a fusee but not sure if it is a "going" or "motor" barrel. The mainspring may be a T End and I am still working out size needed.

From the pics is there a diagram somewhere for parts? Is this an English watch or is it one of the turn of the century mass imported American one? 

I believe it was sold by a "watchmaker" R. Richardson who may have only been a seller. The case is silver and hallmarked as shown possibly 1895? The case maker I believe is C.H possibly Charles Horner. Who is the watchmaker is the big question.

Whats parts are missing?

Any help would be great as I am itching to put it all back together again. I will need some hands for the dial as well, if anyone can advise it would be appreciated.

There are also inscribed numbers on this inside of the case, servicing references maybe?

Thanks.

12796h.jpg

12796a.jpg

12796b.jpg

12796c.jpg

12796d.jpg

12796e.jpg

12796f.jpg

12796g.jpg

Welcome, 99.

the only thing I see missing is the mainspring, a couple of screws and possibly a cannon pinion.  Can’t tell from the pics.

the hand written markings are most likely service marks. The stamped markings will guide you to some more info about the case.  I can’t tell if the case has the same serial number.

Thanks ITProDad,

The case and all the larger brass bits of the watch movement all have the same serial number 12796 although the one part of the case has the 1 and 2 stamped 2 and 1. The stamper possibly picked up the wrong stamp LOL. Hallmarked Chester UK and year O which I believe is 1897 ish. But it's not an Elgin, or a Waltham.

Could it be a Ball Hamilton http://www.pocketwatchrepair.com/histories/ball.html  from 1897 sent to England?

I am not a pocket watch expert but in lieu of someone with better knowledge posting a reply I can at least make some hopefully useful comments...

The three wheat sheafs and sword symbol on the case tie this to the Chester assay office which, with the letter 'O' date this to 1897.

Whilst I can't identify the movement maker for you I don't believe your steer towards Elgin is correct. The layout of the movement you've found doesn't match but also realise this was a US maker and your pocket watch seems very 'English' if we consider all the markings. Also crucially note that the escapement design is the English Lever type.

As a suggestion use the google image search facility and see if any of the above gets you any closer with relevant search terms e.g. english lever 1897.