Marc5555

Can anybody ID this timex automatic

So there is this timex automatic i found online from a reputable seller. I cant find much about it anywhere. Ive been looking for a timex automatic but already have a few watches that look like the marlin. This one is a little different and i like it. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Screenshot_20190818-104722.png

We might be able to provide more info if we could read the number at the bottom of the dial below the 6 o'clock marker.

image.png.6f6166f84571f08aeaf98bce6b65bd95.png

This would give you the design, mechanism and year.

Edited by AndyHull

They did indeed assemble in Taiwan. I have a couple of late mechanicals that were made in Taiwan.

The dial should also have a model number, but this may be obscured by the case.

I suspect the watch you are looking at is probably an early eighties model.

Here is a rather scruffy example of a Taiwan Timex from 1980 that is sitting awaiting my attention.

RIMG0087.thumb.JPG.d8e88ab13f775ee59535d384c556a16f.JPG

The numbers at the bottom are 23429 02580  which you can decode from this site -> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Budget_Watch_Collecting/Timex_date_codes

The last two digits being the year  (1980 in this case).

The watch you linked to above is a much nicer example, but the numbers on that one may be hidden behind the case edge.

Price is not something that tends to be discussed on this forum, but based purely on historic prices for similar aged Timex automatics watches sold on ebay,  you could expect to pay anything from under £5 in a non working condition to somewhere between £20 and £100 (perhaps more if in perfect unused condition), depending on whether it has been professionally serviced, and is running well, and how clean and damage free it is.  It does appear to be an attractive and fairly uncommon example.

If the price is right, then I would go for it. What is the right price however is something only you can decide.

DialMarkings.jpg

Edited by AndyHull

aside from what already has been posted, I can add the watch movement is a #109  day date. early to mid 1980's is my guess without seeing the dial code. ( it maybe hidden from view )  . Case appears to be stainless steel which is a good thing. the negaitves are the model 109 like other latter produc tion Timex movements are of less quality and prone to parts wearing much faster than those from the 1960's - and 1970's. 

the styling f the watch case is often called a TV dial due to well it looks like a TV of the period. The crystal is perhaps the most difficult of all the parts to source.  enjoy the watch and beware of Timex collecting I started with one and have now had thousands!

yes, Timex began to use all stainless steel cases on the Automatics in the late 70's.  But, do you know which model was the very first to have an all stainless steel case and what year it was introduced?

Doesnt seem to have a dial code. Which is disheartening. However it doesnt seem like it is in "fake condition" such as the case is slightly beat up. Why would you put that much effort into faking a watch that you are selling for 25 dollars

IMG_20190826_183058.jpg

5 minutes ago, Marc5555 said:

Doesnt seem to have a dial code. Which is disheartening. However it doesnt seem like it is in "fake condition" such as the case is slightly beat up. Why would you put that much effort into faking a watch that you are selling for 25 dollars

So you don't own the watch? But, rather are looking to buy it?

Long story short. I own it. My work colleague is getting married liked the look of a watch similar. Another colleague got the watch for him said it felt weird and asked me to take a look at it

yes, Timex began to use all stainless steel cases on the Automatics in the late 70's.  But, do you know which model was the very first to have an all stainless steel case and what year it was introduced?
I would say a 1967 Timex 600ft diver maybe.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By slendotnet
      Just starting a watch collection. Mostly hand-me-downs at the moment. Looking for advice, repair help and parts.
      Cheers
    • By monastic
      I'm just finishing up a vintage Mickey Mouse watch with a Timex #24 movement. I performed cleaning per the Timex 24 service manual, which includes removing the balance and hairspring assembly. For future reference I need help in dealing with the too-soft brass V-Conic screw.

I am not in the habit of rounding out screw slots, yet after carefully shaping my screwdriver tip and working as slowly and carefully as I could, I managed to mangle the balance screw slot anyway as the force required to turn the screw was apparently greater than the integrity of the brass Timex used for this part in this movement.
      I've seen photos of a #25 movement which also employs the V-Conic assembly, but did not appear to have the same soft brass balance screw. If anyone here has experience with this and can offer advice, please comment. Thanks!

• By jackie01
      Hello everybody,

I open this thread to archive works on Citizen 8110A Bullhead. I purchased this watch in poor condition as You can see on the photos.

Cause I have serviced few chronographs in the past I decide to try restore this watch. Maybe is not ractional from the economical aspect but we do this because we love it So let's open it.

Hands are in good condition (required repaint and relume) but the dial has broken legs and tachy scale is faded :/ I think it's really hard to find orginal and there is no gold aftermarket replacement - sad. Look at the movement.

Gosh, what a dirty place It needs good cleaning and oiling. 
      But the biggest problems are this.

Broken post on main spring bridge and missing rocking bar core and screw in gear train. I need to find replacement.

While I'll be working on movement the case and pushers are send to renew - putting new gold plated coat

Stay tuned

• By tmilligan
      Question for those who work on Vintage Timex watches:
      I've restored several Timex pieces from the late '60s to the late '70s.  The technique I learned (from Internet posts and tutorials) say to simply loosen the dial-side balance pivot by unscrewing it 1/2 turn prior to cleaning the entire movement in an ultrasonic cleaner.  This method contradicts the official Timex service manuals, which state that the balance should be removed, cleaned separately and reinstalled.  Thus preventing the hairspring form being damaged in the ultrasonic cleaner.
      My experience is this: 
      Leaving the balance in place (slightly loosened) is much easier and will work on the standard movements used in the '70s (M24/25, M32/33, M104, etc.) Attempting the same method on movements from the '50s and '60s (M22, M29, etc) will result in a kinked hairspring that is damn near impossible to un-kink.  So my question is this:
      What do you experienced Timex restoration experts recommend?  Leave the balance/hairspring in the movement for cleaning, or take it out to soak in a separate jar?
      Is the potential for hairspring damage greater when removing/reinstalling the balance - in comparison to leaving it in place?
      I've messed up a couple of vintage movements that I really wish I hadn't.   I don't want to make those mistakes again.
      Thanks for any insights!
        -Todd

• By kma2018
      I'm happy to finally start posting on this terrific watch repair community forum. I've been a member for almost a year, but have been mostly searching the forum for asked and answered questions that might help me with my novice watch repair techniques. I'm a vintage watch enthusiast with a special love of Timex watches from the 1950s  through the 1970s. I developed an interest in watches about 4 years ago when I rediscovered two mechanical watches (a vintage Longines and a Seiko 5) that my father had left in a desk drawer years ago before he passed. Amazingly, both ran in spite of never having been serviced! I was hooked and began my own mechanical watch journey. I'm looking forward to learning more from this wonderful community.