Can anybody ID this timex automatic

So there is this timex automatic i found online from a reputable seller. I cant find much about it anywhere. Ive been looking for a timex automatic but already have a few watches that look like the marlin. This one is a little different and i like it. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Screenshot_20190818-104722.png

Here is a rather scruffy example of a Taiwan Timex from 1980 that is sitting awaiting my attention.

RIMG0087.thumb.JPG.d8e88ab13f775ee59535d384c556a16f.JPG

The numbers at the bottom are 23429 02580  which you can decode from this site -> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Budget_Watch_Collecting/Timex_date_codes

The last two digits being the year  (1980 in this case).

The watch you linked to above is a much nicer example, but the numbers on that one may be hidden behind the case edge.

Price is not something that tends to be discussed on this forum, but based purely on historic prices for similar aged Timex automatics watches sold on ebay,  you could expect to pay anything from under £5 in a non working condition to somewhere between £20 and £100 (perhaps more if in perfect unused condition), depending on whether it has been professionally serviced, and is running well, and how clean and damage free it is.  It does appear to be an attractive and fairly uncommon example.

If the price is right, then I would go for it. What is the right price however is something only you can decide.

DialMarkings.jpg

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

aside from what already has been posted, I can add the watch movement is a #109  day date. early to mid 1980's is my guess without seeing the dial code. ( it maybe hidden from view )  . Case appears to be stainless steel which is a good thing. the negaitves are the model 109 like other latter produc tion Timex movements are of less quality and prone to parts wearing much faster than those from the 1960's - and 1970's. 

the styling f the watch case is often called a TV dial due to well it looks like a TV of the period. The crystal is perhaps the most difficult of all the parts to source.  enjoy the watch and beware of Timex collecting I started with one and have now had thousands!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Marc5555 said:

Doesnt seem to have a dial code. Which is disheartening. However it doesnt seem like it is in "fake condition" such as the case is slightly beat up. Why would you put that much effort into faking a watch that you are selling for 25 dollars

So you don't own the watch? But, rather are looking to buy it?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

There should be a dial code at the base of the 6 hour. the last two digits are the year made.  Not seeing it, my guess is early 1980's Marlin Day Date- 106 movement. That is because I see the wavy lines indicating 'water resistant'.   Not at all rare and very common.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 3:14 AM, NguyenNgocHai said:

Please tell me what version of this Timex watch and how rare it is?

The dial code (if there is one) may be on the dial in  a position that makes it hidden when the movement is in the case.

In other words, you may need to remove the movement from the case to see it. Watches after 1985 may have a different method of dating them. There is an incomplete list of possibilities here -> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Budget_Watch_Collecting/Timex_date_codes

When I zoom in on your picture above, it says "Taiwan", which suggests, like @JerseyMo stated that it is early 1980s. A nice enough watch, but not particularly rare. The Taiwan produced movements tend to be slightly lesser quality (due to cost cuts in later manufacturing runs to keep them competitive).

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 2:06 PM, yankeedog said:

Stainless steel case? On a timex? I have never seen such a critter.However If JerseyMo says so, it must be true ! 

This Timex quartz Q diver's watch also has a stainless case (and would you believe, a screw down back and crown...)

Finished wrist2.jpg

Timex Q diver5.jpg

• Like 1