Jump to content
  • 0
Baseq3

Selita SW-500 Valjoux 7750 cant set time !

Question

Hello Everyone currently working on a Tag Heuer Calibre 16 I picked up from an estate sale. The movement is a Selita SW-500 automatic very similar to the Valjoux 7750. Cant get the crown to pull out to position 3 to set time. It will wind properly in position 1 and change day and date when pulled to position 2 but will not pull out any further to set time to position 3 any thoughts ? Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Something is wrong with the setting lever and related parts, it needs to be taken apart and inspected.

If you never worked on watch movements, have the skills and required tools before I strongly recommend that you give it to a watchmaker and  do not try yourself  as it's a valuable piece.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, jdm said:

Something is wrong with the setting lever and related parts, it needs to be taken apart and inspected.

If you never worked on watch movements, have the skills and required tools before I strongly recommend that you give it to a watchmaker and  do not try yourself  as it's a valuable piece.  

Thank you for the quick response, I have worked on Miyota - 9100 and cleaned a few ETA-2824-2, but never a Selita SW-500 im thinking maybe the position of the setting pinion or the setting lever..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Baseq3 said:

Thank you for the quick response, I have worked on Miyota - 9100 and cleaned a few ETA-2824-2, but never a Selita SW-500 im thinking maybe the position of the setting pinion or the setting lever..

Yes, certainly the problem is in that area. I think you're on the right path to fix it yourself, maybe hone your skills a little more before undertaking this repair and service. In the meanwhile you can watch videos by our Host Mark Lovick, and why not, enroll in the High Definition online course.

 

Edited by jdm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Update I discovered the setting lever when crown is pulled all the way out does not engage because (see picture below) the post on my timing lever is gone so the lever was not secured at axis point which limited the range in which the lever could full extend. I ordered a new one should be here in a week. I will keep you updated, what I think happened is someone pushed the setting lever post to allow stem to insert or remove and they pushed it to hard and broke it.

s-l1600.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
10 hours ago, Baseq3 said:

Update I discovered the setting lever when crown is pulled all the way out does not engage because (see picture below) the post on my timing lever is gone so the lever was not secured at axis point which limited the range in which the lever could full extend. I ordered a new one should be here in a week. I will keep you updated, what I think happened is someone pushed the setting lever post to allow stem to insert or remove and they pushed it to hard and broke it.

Good finding. See if you can locate the snapped bit still inside the mov't?
It is well know that most damage is done by owners or improvised repairers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

jdm how right you are, turns out the setting lever is an assembly and the post and screw that holds the post on were wedged in the movement near the yolk spring. Going to see if I cant reassemble the current one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, Baseq3 said:

Going to see if I cant reassemble the current one.

Use a round nose stake to close a bit the hole on lever. If you are serious about working on mov'ts a staking set is a must have tool. 

Edited by jdm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...