Hallo from Germany to all WRT members

newkid97

Hallo everyone, I am a student from Germany and totally new to watch-related topics. Because I got fascinated by horology, I can´t wait to put some unique watches on my wrist. I´m hopping to gain a lot of knowledge and knew input from this community.

Also I am looking for some advice and help from some experienced watch enthusiasts.

I bought a vintage German quartz watch. Because it was extremely cheap I took the risk and bought it although it was not running, hoping that the reason for it is a dead battery. That´s why I want to exchange it by myself. I managed to open the screw-down caseback but I´m not sure witch screws I need to remove in order to change the battery. I just know that it is a miyota movement. I have attached a picture of the movement. Any research I have done on that particular watch model didn´t help me.

Can somebody tell me the steps I need to take in order to change the battery successfully?

Also are there any things I must consider while exchanging a watch battery in general?

I am thankful for any piece of advice.

Cheers, Daniel

IMG_4527 - Kopie.JPG

• Thanks 1

Hi and welcome to the forum. The watch you have Is a Miyota  to remove the battery draw back the long spring lever (the one with the hole in ) and the battery will pop out to replace the new battery using plastic tweezers or finger cots so as not to short the battery, place the battery in under the plate and draw back the lever spring again and press the battery in and release the spring lever so it holds the battery in place. I have enclosed the Miyota tech manual for your guidence, There is a section on the battery change with drawings.   Have Fun

2030 citizen-miyota tech manual.pdf

Hi Daniel    Taking a close look at the movement it looks rather scruffy and maybe a bit of rust so dont be surprised if the watch does not start up. It may be of some use to practise on but to do that you will need  some tools to check the circuit block operation and the contiuity of the coil. ( Moving coil analogue meter will do simple tests). There is also the possibility of corrosion usually around the battery terminals.  Can you confirm the calibre of the movement it should be  something like  Miyota 2030   or  Miyota 2035. all is not lost if its duff as they are quite cheap on ebay or cousins.co.uk then you will be into a movement swap. The next step. 

First of all thank you both watchweasol and Nucejoe for your help. Especially for the provided tech manual.

I managed to get the battery out. As watchweasol supposed the battery and the contact are both corroded. Thats why I think putting a new battery in this movement is not necessary anymore. Please correct me if I´m wrong. I attached a picture.

Also I identified the movement. It´s a miyota 2105. Which may be a bit more difficoult for a first-timer to swap because of it´s day-date function. Anyway I am going to try my best.

Again thanks for the help.                                                                                                                                                     Cheers, Daniel

Corussion.jpg