Mark

New Video - Vintage Omega 30T2 (1940's Military Watch) With Broken Impulse Jewel

Just uploaded a new video. This one is one of my favourites, an Omega Military watch from the mid to late 40s. It had a broken balance staff, impulse jewel and the pivot on the centre wheel had a groove worn into it.

I didn't film the lathe work but managed to get quite a bit under the camera.

I hope it's useful to someone.

post-1-0-79536100-1419079855_thumb.jpg

Some pics:

post-1-0-95293900-1419082175_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-49698100-1419082176_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-00010600-1419082177_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-41873600-1419082177_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-89665500-1419082177_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-48697200-1419082178_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-97044800-1419082178_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-43095000-1419082179_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-99983600-1419082179_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-43249100-1419082180_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-12062600-1419082206_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-69137300-1419082206_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-19307200-1419082207_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-66042400-1419082207_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-23566900-1419082208_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-66467600-1419082208_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-06066800-1419082209_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-41001900-1419082209_thumb.jpg

Another fine video with an excellent lesson on replacing the impulse pin. Thanks.

A question: when starting from a broken-off pin how do you judge the initial position of the new jewel with respect to the roller? Is that just experience or is  there a rule?

The jewel cannot foul the guard pin on the pallets. And the crescent notched into the roller is for the guard pin to pass. So, naturally, the bottom of the jewel must be above the crescent.

Hope that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Mark,

I believe this is one of the best videos ever concerning the quality and nearness of the takes! The contents is unbelievable just like the other ones, this simply highlights it with amazing quality. I learned a lot from it continuing a learning curve only made possible by your excellent videos and forum.

May I ask, the plate you use to heat the Shellac -- which has appeared before in your videos -- is it something of your own manufacture or is it available for sale elsewhere? Since I got my staking tools I've been collecting all sort of goodies to work on (just waiting for a good time and some jewels) and foresee doing some of the same Shellac/heat thing you so masterly do on your videos.

Thank you for the info in advance and many more thanks for the excellent Christmas gift that this video represents to us. Your labor of love is deeply appreciated.

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Mark,

I enjoyed your video so much! Thank you for posting it and provide us with one more excellent learning experience! These pictures are a nice complement to the video.

Cheers,

Bob

The plate Mark is using is I suspect what I use which is an old Clock movement plate. Another point worth noting is I attended a presentation by a guy who repairs and services watches for a living at a Kent BHI. During the meeting it was asked if you can not purchase  a replacement pivot that is scored on say a Rolex what is the alternative. The guy said it is quite acceptable to remove the score from the pivot on a lathe & re-jewel with a jewel that has a smaller internal hole. Exactly as Mark does in this excellent vid.

Edited by clockboy

Thanks guys.

The brass plate is made by myself - just a rough job from some brass sheeting.

The holes are useful for blueing screws. The channel slot is useful for tempering newly made stems after hardening.

Thank you Mark, I appreciate the information. Do you recommend specific dimensions and type/thickness of brass sheeting or you just go by the spur (needs) of the moment, so the holes and other features are added accordingly?

Cheers,

Bob

As always a first class video by a master at watch repairing and video making.  I always enjoy watching a master at work be it Mark with his shellac and diamond file or Will with his guitar.   :bow: 

I finally got some time to watch Marks latest horological production. As usual a quality production that I enjoyed immensely. The more I learn, the more I wish I had been involved with horology years ago. At least now being retired, I can devote a lot more time to it.

Thank you Mark, I appreciate the information. Do you recommend specific dimensions and type/thickness of brass sheeting or you just go by the spur (needs) of the moment, so the holes and other features are added accordingly?

Cheers,

Bob

It was just a scrap piece of brass lying around, drilled a few holes and filed a channel :D

... and I believe you are using a new microphone too  .... make you sound very debonair :)

Cheers mate - was hoping to attract some female viewers with my debonair voice. So far it's not working :D

What a genuine privilege it is to be able to watch such skilled work take place. Thank you Mark for sharing your talent with us! 

I'm sure the debonair voice will bring the lady watch groupies out of hiding. You should have no trouble cornering that market  :rock:

• Similar Content

• By arkobugg
      Cheers mates!!
      Had to get new winding stem to an Omega cal. 342 , beacuse not original crown.
      Got an replacement from Ronda, but does not fit.
      Tried to fit the stem yesterday, but Im not able to get in in right in the movment.   The original just go right in every time, but the new Ronda stem will not go properly in.   Are there anyone that have some ide why this not fit?   Can the notch in the stem where I have put red arrow have somthing todo with this??   Its slightly smaller on the Ronda stem...  se photo  

• By arkobugg
      Cheers Mates!

Working on a Omega Cal. 613, have done service, and watch performs well on the time-grapher, but when put dial and hand on, I can see that the

• By Harmines
      Hello all
      i wonder if anyone could offer some advice. I have an Omega seamaster 1345 quartz day date. Working well. However it seems the date is stuck (as shown in pictures) i know the push button at the 4 o clock position is meant to filter through the date? However when pushed in nothing seems to happen. As a result of this the watch works fine but only up untill 11pm it doesnt turn over to midnight and therefor change the day or date. Minute hand works perfectly but it seems i have to change the hour position every morning.
      when i turn the crown, hour hand moves fune and after the 12 o clock position changes the day, but date does not moth along with it.
      anyone know how i can resolve this safely without removing too many parts of the movement? 
      Many thanks

• By DouglasSkinner
      Need some info on the balance staff for an E. Howard pocket watch movement, Series 7, Model 1912, 12s, 17j.  I have one for which the staff is missing.  Either want to purchase one or get the dimensions so I can make one.  Are there any other staffs which are interchangeable with it?  Thanks, Doug!
    • By Harmines
      Good evening everyone. I am new to this forum and i can see we have some outstanding experts on the site.
      brand new to watch repair and looking to get some advice. I purchased an Omega seamaster quarts 1342 watch (not currently working and not tested) as it was a bargain and understand that 329 is the equivalent of the original mercury battery used when the watch was manufactured?
      I am hoping the battery change will mean it is functional but in the event it does not work, how easy/costly is it to repair. (I’ve heard parts can turn this bargain into a money pit)
      would anyone in this community willing to have a go at fixing it after i try battery change?
      paid service of course.
      any help advice would be much appreciated
      thank you