KIF 6-1 Shock spring - help needed

Shock spring KIF 6-1 has gone awal after coming loose when servicing Bulova Cal 5BD.  This is the smallest KIF Ultraflex (overall length is 1.60mm) and is indicated as obsolete at Cousins (my normal source), and no luck with web search.

Can anyone help with another supplier name or spare.

At least I now have a very clean workbench and floor :wacko:

• Like 1

Hi, Re our PM's, I have attached a pic of the sizes for KIF springs which I have been using.  The smaller sizes you mention relate to the jewel chaton I think, hence the confusion.  I was unable to send pic by PM so have put it here.  It may also help others.

Kif-Springs.pdf

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all who helped with this post.  Unfortunately none of the offered solutions were suitable for me.

I eventually ordered a pack of 5 Kif 3-2 (elastor) from Cousins as the Kif6-1 is no longer available and donor movements could not be found or were extremely expensive for just 1 tiny spring.  The Kif3-2 is only very slightly different in design and the overall length is 1.5mm cf 1.6mm (they are unbelievably tiny) but it fits and sits ok.

I did have some fun trying to get it to engage and managed to bend one out of shape, so having 4 spares turned out to fortunate.  I managed to fit using the method suggested by another forum member (cant find who! but thanks for the input), which was to fit the jewel and lay the spring in position on top and then push it into hinge part of the jewel holder. Easier said than done, I failed with tweezers and eventually managed with a 0.5mm screwdriver after about 1.5 hours of trying!!!

The balance seems to be swinging fine so I now need to re-clean and check all is well before final assembly.

Now having a few days winding down rest from this project and doing something a bit easier !!!

Edited by canthus
  • Thanks 1