Question

Hi. My first build over with a Hamilton case,dial and a seagull st2031 (eta 2824-2 clone) and i was chuffed with my efforts. However aftet a day wearing I notice the movement stops. I wind it up and it runs then stops. I'm thinking hands may be rubbing as i had a lot of difficulty fitting them or the stem may be cut too short? The second hand seems to like stopping mostly at 34 seconds. The balance wheel also stops as does the hour and minute hand. Suggestions? Thanks

4 answers to this question

I suggest you remove the hands and see how it goes, if it still stops, remove the movement from the case and remove the dial and test. if it stops, let all the power down, remove balance and pallets, just give it a little power, see if the train runs free if so reassemble and try. If it doesn't then you need to look at the wheels in turn and check teeth pivots and pinions and jewel holes. If all fails let me know.   

25 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I suggest you remove the hands and see how it goes, if it still stops, remove the movement from the case and remove the dial and test. if it stops, let all the power down, remove balance and pallets, just give it a little power, see if the train runs free if so reassemble and try. If it doesn't then you need to look at the wheels in turn and check teeth pivots and pinions and jewel holes. If all fails let me know.   

Thanks. Im thinking it should ve the hands as the movement is brand new... 

I'm waiting on delivery of a peoper hand pusher and hand remover this time....

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Thanks. Im thinking it should ve the hands as the movement is brand new... 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By mcoulton
      Hello
      I've come across an issue where I can't properly seat the minute hand and I believe this is because the minuet hand pinion doesn't protrude high enough or I've got the wrong hands. I've installed the date wheel ring to give the dial enough clearance above the calendar and a dial washer. I haven't stripped the movement to oil it yet, so my questions are:
      1.) Is it possible the movement hasn't been assembled properly (both the hour and minute pinions move when the crown is pulled out to the hand setting position)?
      2.) Do I have incorrect hands for the movement? 
      Thanking you in advance for any help that can be provided. 
      Michael