How to recognize a movement?

Koen

Hello guys,

Maybe a stupid question, still have to start my 3 year corse in September, but a question that is in my mind for a long time... How do you recognize a movement brand.

Automatic or Quartz, Watch brands call it a like RR257-7 but it's for example a ETA... How can you tell what's inside so you can start finding parts?

Thanks for not laughing with me, and answer my question that is playing in my head. ;-)

Koen

• Like 1

As Tmuir says look for the logos usually under the balance along with the calibre number for example:-

as 1712-2  as being the brand 1712-2 the calibre, You will require both numbers to be able to order parts, I have enclosed two PDFs of the bestfit books, Have a browse through them the information will be useful when you start your course. In one of them there is a couple of pages of makers logos. 

bestfit_part1_(1).pdf bestfit_part2_(1).pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Takes some years to recognize and learn movements . I use rannft a lot. http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk

There is usually a number or something on the movement so you can  identify it. Google the number . Even Ebay could help sometimes. 

There is other pages that have a lot of movements. Like https://17jewels.info/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Great diagram with the teeth and pinion count. Simple way to reduce the speed of the hour wheel by the 12:1 minute wheel. Genius and yet so simple. Always good to reinforce the principal by what you have done in your drawing. Keep doing that. I had a drawing on my wall for years showing me this which is very similar to the drawing you have done. Here's a formula to work out the beats per hour of a watch movement. The movement's BPH is dictated by the wheel teeth and pinion count and the hairspring being vibrated to the correct BPH by finding the pinning up point on the hairspring using a vibrating tool.  The reason in the formula there is X2 on the top line is because there are two pallet stones.
    • So I just wanted to say "thank you" again.  The angle is the key bit it seems and yes, it did basically just fall, or float, back into position when I got it lined up just right.
    • Well I’ve never seen the make before and cannot find any info, I haven’t got it just yet it’s been left to me among a 1970’s sea master and a mid size yeoman. But if anyone has any information on this one please feel free to enlighten me, many thanks 
    • Hello Horologists, thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a 50ish year old who has been dabbling in watches for a while, did a couple of BHI course here in the UK and have started to dabble at bit more. I also took the level 1 course, which was a good refresher. Now off to look at some Bergeon tools and then buy (and regret buying) the cheaper ones...    Stirky.
    • Hi All, I thought I'd draw a diagram to help me understand the motion works for an eta 6497 so I thought I'd share it here in case anyone else finds it helpful. Any corrections, please let me know! Hope it helps. Stirky.